Function of nitrates and nitrites in fresh sausage?

Recipes for all sausages

Function of nitrates and nitrites in fresh sausage?

Postby JuniorBalloon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm looking for information on why you would add nitrates and or nitrites to fresh sausage. This is fresh sausage where it's going to be vaccum sealed and stored in a freezer until it's used. My understanding is nitrates and nitrites are added to inhibit the growth of pathogens. Nitrates are usually only added for meats that have a longer cure. I understand that these will affect the flavor and color of cured meats, but will they have an affect on the flavor and color of fresh sausage?

Thanks,
jb
JuniorBalloon
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:51 pm

I wouldn't add nitrates to fresh sausage, since nitrates require bacterial action in order to breakdown into nitrite before becoming active. Nitrite dissipates rapidly, and is often added to fresh commercial sausage, because it does keep the sausage looking pink, it does extend product shelf life, and it does inhibit botulism. No idea if it impacts flavor in so short a time before use. I don't consider nitrite necessary for my fresh sausages, at home, and have never used it in the making of fresh (raw) sausage for myself. i would certainly use nitrites for cooked or smoked sausages, that were going to sit at ideal incubation temperatures for any length of time during processing.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby onewheeler » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Nitrite (cure #1) will give a "bacon" flavour to a fresh sausage. I use it (at about half the usual quantities) in saucisse de Toulouse and a few other sausages. Leave the sausage in the 'fridge for a day or two before cooking to allow the flavour to develop.

It also make a good addition to sausage meat destined for sausage rolls, which can otherwise be rather bland.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby JuniorBalloon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks to both of you for confirming what I had understood from the reading I''ve done. I've been working out of Charcuterie book by Ruhlman and Polcyn. The nitrite in sausage sound like an interesting move. May have to give it a try.

jb
JuniorBalloon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes