Book of Sausages

Book of Sausages

Postby Fatman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:34 pm

Cor, am I excited today!

My work took me to Coleford in the Forest of Dean today and whilst I was there I decided to do some window shopping. In each town I go to, I always find myself visiting butchers, deli's and kitchen cookware shops etc
well today was no different.

I came across a butcher in Coleford which sold many things but the one thing that stuck out in his display was Chitterlings of which he cut and gave me to try cold, Yuk Yuk Yuk and I grimaced to the point that the rest of his customers were laughing!
I declined to buy any but I did not leave until I tried and then bought some of his best pork sausages and gammon.

From there I went to Monmouth in South Wales and this was purely a Christmas shopping exercise, there I came to a lovely looking butcher shop called " Le Gourmet" 9 Church Street, Monmouth Tel: 01600 716655.

It was his window display that drew me into the shop, in fact his display of Faggots, Faggots that were wrapped in streaky bacon instead of Caul, I must say and please please believe me these were the best Faggots I have ever had in my life!!!

It got better , a few hundred yards away I entered www.saltandpepper-ltd.co.uk a kitchen ware shop, where I found a book which I did not know existed called " Book of Sausages" by Antony and Araminta Hippisley Coxe. isbn 0-575-06633-4 priced �12.99. This book I have briefly looked at and it is refreshing to say the least, an English book on sausages must be rare?

I can't tell you any more as the wife as taken it away from me as I am to receive it from my children for Christmas, I'm afraid you will just have to buy your own.

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:33 am

If it's the same book as I have you will enjoy it immensely, I say that as I have the same title by the same writers but a different ISBN 0-575-04004-1.
Another good book I found is "Everything in the larder" by David Mabey this is a BBC book on how to prepare british provisionsISBN 0-563-36024-0 fist published 1990.

regards

sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:09 pm

Sausagemaker

Can you tell us more about the second book ?

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:28 pm

Sure can
Book Title :- Everything in the larder
Author:- David Mabey
Publisher:- BBC Books
First Published:- 1990
The contents are as follows
1. Bread & Baking
2. Soft Cheeses
3. Salted & Pickled Meat
4. Sausage
5. Cooked Meat Products
6. Potting
7. Raised Pies & Pasties
8. Smoked Fish
9. Ketchups, Condiments & Dressings
10.Preserves
11.Cider

The book is 160 pages long - soft back
Hope this covers everything but if not let me know & i will be happy to answer further.

regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:45 pm

Sausagemaker

Thank you , one for my shopping list!

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:14 am

Over the weekend I was asked to dispatch some cockerels for a friend in a neighbouring village. Well as dusk approached I duly did the deed for my friend and on completion I was offered the obligatory Christmas drink for my work and whilst having this tipple the subject of coarse turned to food and sausages .

Before I could leave my host said wait don't go just yet I have to find something for you, she returned a few minutes later with the first edition of the above mentioned book, take this as a thank you she explained. WOW ! Christmas had indeed come early, what a treat.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Everything in the Larder

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:39 pm

Fatman

If you get some time I would appreciate it if you could post the sausage recipes from this book on the forum.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:27 pm

Parson Snows

I will be happy to post it to you once I've finished reading it, on one condition you let me have it back when you have finished using it.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Book Posting

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:34 pm

Fatman

Thanks a lot for offering to send me the book but I was really referring to posting the sausage recipes on the forum. However if you ever make it to Thailand you could always bring it with you, and we could meet up for a beer.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:14 pm

To All

I do not want to sound a WUSS but what is the law on copyright etc.

Regards

Fatman

Copyright

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:12 am

If they are stated as being "Traditional" then they cannot be copyrighted, that's how they became traditional in the first place by being passed down from person to person, generation to generation. As to most authors works if you do not intend claiming it as your own and give full credit (ie Author's Name, Tilte etc) where credit's due they are normally prepared to let you use up to 10 % of the content (this varies from author to author and publisher to publisher) though its use must be for teaching materials or non profit schemes and therefore CANNOT be sold in any form whatsoever. Other deals may be worked out it the publication is planned for future sale. Even the British Government are prepared to do this. I have several of their manuals, with recipes etc, and have been granted the 10 % use for my book. They did however state that this did not grant me exclusivity to these materials and that anyone else could apply to use them. In Thailand they will copy sections of a book but NOT the whole book, however, they will not copy any part of any government book.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:19 pm

I've got that book as well so if Fatman posts 10%, I'll post another 10% then all we have to do is find another 8 people on here with it. :lol:

Seriously though, it does say that the recipes are traditional and not the work of the author, it's the actual compilation and other wording that is, so I guess there shouldn't be a problem.

I have a friend who is a copyright expert, I can call them and find out if you want?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Copyrights

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:23 am

Spuddy

By all means check with your expert friend, but if it actually states traditional and not the work of the author then there is no problem. Does each recipe have an author/reference mentioned?. If so when you post it it is this reference that must be included/mentioned as opposed to "Everything in the Larder" which has a copyright on the complilation/layout etc.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:14 pm

Well Christmas came and surprise surprise I got a book from my children called " Book of Sausages" this book being the latest revision shows a great front cover picture .

Of coarse it is practically a word for word copy of the original , except this one is easier to read due to it's large print. I must emphasise this book is an excellent book to have if you are enthusiastic at all on this subject.

An easy to read format without all the technical jargon that bores most of us!

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby deb » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:19 pm

Fatman, is this book concerned with just Fresh Sausages or does it include Dry ones?

Does it explain the process of sausagemaking and include recipes, or is it the type of book that sort of discusses different types of sausages that are available?

Thanks for any help, I'd be really interested in this book if it turns out to be what I'm looking for.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Next

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.