General butchering book

General butchering book

Postby Griselda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 am

Hi all

I have received �50 worth of book vouchers. I would like to buy a book about butchering, about all the different cuts rather than slaughtering. I am already in possession of the River Cottage Meat Book, which I find very interesting. However, I would like something more specific, covering Lamb, Beef, Pork and maybe some birds too, although I am quite happy with birds. Can anyone recommend a good book?

Thanks
Griselda
Registered Member

Re: General butchering book

Postby Griselda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:26 am

What literature do butcher trainees get issued at college? Would those books be a good option to learn the wonderful trade of British butchering?
Griselda
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:56 pm

There was a guy named Othmar that used to post here, he was trained as a butcher in Switzerland, you might go to his site and send an email to see what thoughts he has on the subject.
http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/home.html
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Griselda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:59 pm

What a coincidence, I am Swiss too. Thanks for your advice. I have just emailed him.

I have just been in town, Bournemouth, and had a look around the high street bookshops. I find it rather sad that the only books that seem to be available are recipe books from Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey and all the other celebrity chefs. I am so bored with all those books, one like the other.

I�ll post Othmar�s recommendation here.
Griselda
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:29 pm

Griselda, seeing as you are Swiss you may be interested in the site below, it has loads of Swiss/German sausage recipes, ie: fresh, dried and semi dried.

http://www.abzspiez.ch/html/qks/sw_bruehwurst.html

Unfortunately for us English only speakers, the recipes are in German and French. If you find any good recipes please don't forget us. Please post them.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Griselda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Oddley, I have had a look at these recipes a little while ago and actually based a beef sausage on the recipe of the 'Engadiner'. That sausage was always one of my favourites when I was in Switzerland and is a 'must have' when I go home. I'll translate them for the Forum as I go through them. But please be patient as I am sitting some exams at the end of April. So, I currently I am busy revising.
Griselda
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:20 pm

No hurry Griselda, good luck with your exams.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:58 pm

I've just had a look at the Engadiner recipe, and through babelfish translated it. One thing though, can you tell me, is the sausage an emulsified sausage ie: chopped, or a normal sausage, just minced?
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Griselda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:52 pm

The original Engadiner sausage consists of Veal and pork, as described in the recipe. I replace the Veal with Beef as it is more widely available and less expensive. To your question: The Veal (or in my case Beef) is emulsified, and the pork added. The Pork is normally very coarse, and gives a lovely juicy result. After the pork is added you give it anther good whisk (hope you know what I mean :?: ), so that the Pork gets emulsified into the Veal, remaining coarse. The phosphate, I believe, gives it the necessary byte.

Does this make sense? Hope this helps�
Griselda
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 am

Hi
not a recommendation to buy (since its so personal), but look at

"How to be your own butcher" by S, L and E Lobel isbn 0-399-50755-8

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Griselda » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi all

Othmar has replied to me and as promised, I am keeping you informed. He recommended the books of the Swiss Butcher Master Association, which are used for training purposes in Switzerland. I am not sure how many are interested in this, but (www.metzgerei.ch) this is the URL to their web page. I�ll get into contact with them and see what literature they provide. I might be able to find one of my mates that could help out here. However, the language would either be German, French, or Italian. I guess that is not much use to most of the participants of this forum.

Best
Stefan

Griselda wrote:What a coincidence, I am Swiss too. Thanks for your advice. I have just emailed him.

I have just been in town, Bournemouth, and had a look around the high street bookshops. I find it rather sad that the only books that seem to be available are recipe books from Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey and all the other celebrity chefs. I am so bored with all those books, one like the other.

I�ll post Othmar�s recommendation here.
Griselda
Registered Member

Swiss Recepies

Postby Griselda » Sat May 17, 2008 7:19 am

Oddley, I have finished translating the recipes. I have them in form of web (html), Excel (xls), and Portable Document Format (PDF). How can I post them to this forum? Currently the recipes can be downloaded at "driveway":

XLS: http://www.driveway.com/a2n2a0j5p8
PDF: http://www.driveway.com/e5g4u0z9w8
Html: http://www.driveway.com/w6s5m8b0d6

I hope this is ok, but if you do find any anomalies, please let me know and I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

Have fun :D

Oddley wrote:Griselda, seeing as you are Swiss you may be interested in the site below, it has loads of Swiss/German sausage recipes, ie: fresh, dried and semi dried.

http://www.abzspiez.ch/html/qks/sw_bruehwurst.html

Unfortunately for us English only speakers, the recipes are in German and French. If you find any good recipes please don't forget us. Please post them.
Griselda
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat May 17, 2008 8:03 am

Nice work

You can't post a file directly to the forum, the version of Forum software we use doesn't allow it :( .

Those links you have used work fine, however some hosters expire the files after a period of time.

I don't know how long Driveway keep them live for but if they disappear then PM me and I'll host them for you.
Last edited by Spuddy on Sat May 17, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sat May 17, 2008 8:29 am

I've had a look Griselda,

Brilliant! I'm sure all the forum members will benefit from your efforts. I've got no excuse now, I'll have to have a bash at them.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sat May 17, 2008 8:42 am

Excellent...thanks for the information
johnfb
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.