General butchering book

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 am

I cannot say I have come across the meat ingredients 'sausage bacon', and 'throat bacon'. Can anyone shed some light.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat May 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Paul

I think the Throat bacon will be neck trim & the sausage bacon will be belly pork or 50vl streaky.

If it is a real problem I can get the correct translation from my colleague in Germany

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Griselda » Sat May 17, 2008 12:58 pm

Paul, in German bacon can come from just about any cut of pork if it is not turned into ham. However, the soft meat taken from the throat is mainly used for sausages cooked in water and then consumed, the rougher back bacon is used for raw and 'bratwurst' (frying /grilling / BBQ) sausages. Sausage bacon is, as far as I understand, what you would call sausage meat, the genuine pork sausage meat provided by any butcher. Now, by combining these ingredients you can influence the fineness and consistency of your end product.

Sorry the confusion, but I thought it would be worth making the difference, just to learn something.

Hope this helps.

Paul Kribs wrote:I cannot say I have come across the meat ingredients 'sausage bacon', and 'throat bacon'. Can anyone shed some light.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Griselda
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat May 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks for the replies,

On reading it originally, I was pondering wether it meant 'cured' meat (as in bacon)..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Basic Butchering Book

Postby This Little Piggy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:18 pm

Already got a lot of useful information off this topic thread!

The basic textbook used by students in the US is The Meat We Eat. New, it's pretty pricey (around $100), but it's been around for so long that it's possible to pick up older editions used for about $10.
"Nothing exceeds like excess."

<a href="http://www.thislittlepiggy.us" target="_blank">This Little Piggy's blog</a>
This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.