The ARt of Making Fermented Sausages

The ARt of Making Fermented Sausages

Postby Seminole » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:15 pm

The art and secrets of making fermented sausages revealed in new specialty book

October 2008, N.Y., N.Y. The majority of books written on making sausages do not tackle the subject of fermented sausages at all. The topic is limited to a statement that this is an advanced field of sausage making which is not recommended for an amateur sausage maker. Well, the main reason for writing this book was that the authors did not share this opinion. On the contrary, they believed that any hobbyist could make wonderful salami at home, if he only knew how. For thousands of years the manufacturing process was shrouded in secrecy, and was more a combination of art and magic than a solid science. They were highly technical papers, that were published in Food Technology journals, unfortunately these works were written in such difficult terms, that they were beyond the comprehension of the average sausage maker.

Thus, was born the idea of bridging the technology gap that existed between Meat Science and the requirements of the typical hobbyist making products at home. Technical terms were substituted with their equivalent but simpler meanings, and to get the reader started fifty detailed recipes are included. With more information obtainable every day, and commercial starter
cultures available to the public, there is little reason to abstain from making quality salamis at home, regardless of the climate and outside conditions.

In The Art of Making Fermented Sausages, readers are provided with detailed information about:

Bacteria, yeasts and molds
PH meat acidity and Aw water activity
Starter Cultures
Fermentation
Safety and good manufacturing procedures
Fifty detailed recipes
And more�

To read sample pages visit: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/book-ferme ... usages.htm

ISBN: 978-14327-3257-8 Format: 6.14 x 9.21 Paperback SRP: US$19.95
Published by: Outskirts Press, Inc. http://outskirtspress.com
Seminole
Registered Member

Postby This Little Piggy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Just got my hands on this book today, and I'll post a review as soon as I've devoured it!
"Nothing exceeds like excess."

<a href="http://www.thislittlepiggy.us" target="_blank">This Little Piggy's blog</a>
This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:32 pm

I look forward to seeing your review of the book.

As well as the book excerpts, the website linked above has a very good section on fermented sausages:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/fermented-sausages.htm

If this is anything to go by, the book should be superb.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Read and reviewed!

Postby This Little Piggy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:02 pm

I just posted a review of this book on my blog:

http://www.thislittlepiggy.us/2008/12/1 ... marianski/

The bottom line: repetitious, no index, not very well written, but full of clear and accurate information on this subject combined with 50 precise recipes for a range of European fermented sausages. Of particular note is their advocacy of slow-fermentation methods, which they argue produces a more subtle, more richly-flavored sausage. Can't wait to try some of the recipes out!

<a href="http://www.thislittlepiggy.us" target="_blank">This Little Piggy's blog</a>
This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:32 am

>The bottom line: repetitious, no index, not very well written, but full of clear and accurate information on this subject combined with 50 precise recipes for a range of European fermented sausages. Of particular note is their advocacy of slow-fermentation methods, which they argue produces a more subtle, more richly-flavored sausage. Can't wait to try some of the recipes out!<

Mine came a couple of days ago and the above is essentially correct. The most glaring error is that is shows every sign of being written in haste, the second error is poor proofreading. Much too eager to publish, I think.

Good information, though.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:40 am

I thought it had good info but was way to scientific...there intent was to bridge the gap between the heavy science and the home hobbist....

Still a good read and nice to have as a source
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby This Little Piggy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm now reading my way through the Polish Sausage book that they published last year, and although there are still some errors and oddities, it does seem better organized and written than the Fermented Sausage book. So that does suggest that they were just in too much of a hurry to get this latest book out and didn't take the time to make final revisions and clean up their writing. It just doesn't look good when someone hasn't even run a spell checker apparently.

This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:23 pm

This is very disappointing - I was hoping for a good book with all the science etc in detail, but written for the home producer. I'm looking for detail of the whys and wherefores, rather than recipes, for someone who already has a good basic knowledge of the processes involved.

Does anyone know of another book that would fill this brief.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Batman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:51 am

Can I just second what Phil is looking for.

However, I do see a certain absurdity in this as there is absolutely no way we as home producers have the facilities or equipment to put anything but a tiny bit (any?) of this science into practice :) Nevertheless it would make me feel that I knew what I was doing.

Yes you've guessed it, unfortunately I am one of those that feels the need to read a book /search the web/ ask questions before doing something rather than just getting on with it! O for a more simple approach to life.
TonyB

Visit my blog at www.batty.me.uk
Batman
Registered Member

Postby This Little Piggy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 am

Just to be clear, the faults of this books are in the style and organization, and not in the information they present. As far as my own exploration of this subject has revealed, this IS the best book out there for amateur sausage makers who want to do more with fermented sausages and want to know more about the processes and science involved.

They know their stuff and the information is all accurate; it's just not organized or written up as well as it could have been.

This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:44 am

Little Piggy

Thank's for clarifying that. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby beardedwonder5 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Accuracy? Have a look at the Lebanon Bologna on the sample entry. Cure no. 1 is listed on the ingredients, but not on the method. Cure no. 2 is listed on the methods section, but isn't listed as an ingredient.

Look at the ambiguity of the salt amount. "accounted for"?
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby This Little Piggy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Just heard from Stanley Marianski, thanking me for my review and informing me that they have published a new, revised edition of this book, as well as their earlier books on Polish Sausages and Meat Smoking. Yes, they now have indexes! As soon as I receive my copies, I'll let everyone know how different they are.

This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm

TLP

I look forward to that - this book's on my "wanted" list.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.