Anyone read these?

Anyone read these?

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm just writing my annual letter to Santa - I thought I'd get in early before all you lot grabbed the best prezzies! :lol:

Anyway, I've just noticed these books at Weschefelders that I've not seen before, has anyone read/got info/opinions on any of them?

Wurste, Sulzen, Pasteten Selbst Gemacht By Bernhard Gahm
We are pleased to include this classic German Sausage book. It is the equivilant of Home Sausage Making in German. Packed with recipes and instructions it is a wonderful insight into the huge range of German sausages and salami. Beside each recipe are full colour illustrations and whilst the book is written in German the recipes are relatively simple to translate.

Recipes include, Schnittfeste Rohwurst, Bauernsalami, Cervelatwurst, Bruhwursts...Wiener Wurstchen, Knackwurst, & Gelbwurst. Bratwurstes...Grobe Bratwurst, Frankische, Nurnberger, Feine, and Weinwurst Munchner Art. These are just a few plus numerous recipes for Pates and German Meat Loaves and also salted hams and gammons.

Cured By Lindy Wildsmith
Published October 1st 2010 'Cured' covers salting, marinading, drying, smoking and pickling a wide range of meat , fish and other food products. In seven sections - each dedicated to a different method of curing - Lindy Wildsmith de-mystifies the ancient secrets of curing. This new book fills the gap in the market for a dedicated book on curing for all those keen to turn their hand to curing their own meats and fish. All the recipes can be done on a small scale at home, on the farm, or charcuterie, and adapted for larger scale operations. It is beautifully illustrated and packed with accessible information on all aspects of curing. Recipes include dry cured bacon and pancetta, gammons and hams to New York Deli pastrami, Venison Jerky, Salt Beef, Smoked Salmon, and Salt Beef. Other recipes from around the world include Salt Cod dishes from the Mediterranean and Scandinavia , and classic Italian antipasta in the form of Venetian Carpaccio and ruby red Carne Salada...

Preserving The Italian Way By Pietro Demaio
Packed full of recipes, tips, & anecdotes this is a great book for anyone with an interest & love of Italian food. The chapters include how to preserve Olives, Fish, Cheeses, Salami & Salted Meats. Syrups & Liquers......& a whole lot more !

In the meats section there are recipes for Calabrese Salami, Abbruzzese Salami, Capocollo, Pancetta, Prosciutto, Venetian Salamis, Cotechino, Salami all 'aglio, Soppressate, Bresaola ...amongst loads of other variations & including several for Black Puddings.

This collection of recipes oozes with a love of both Italian Food & the Italian way of life.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 am

I might get the first one based on this article:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=6681.

I'll have to get some help with the German however. I'm a little surprised, frankly, that our forum has not attracted many (any?) members from Germany, which has one of the oldest sausage making cultures. Is there a German forum comparable to this one that I am not aware of? Is it possible to invite other forums (or people on other forums) to post here as well? I am loyal to this forum and would like to see it be (become) the best forum for sausage making. Is it possible to invite guests? Would this be helpful to others? I would like to hear from Len Poli and Bruce Aidells from the US for instance. The Marianski brothers would be great to hear from as well for Polish sausages for another example. We already have some professional butchers posting, which I find very informative and for which I am thankful for their time and expertise. I don't know how to accomplish what I would like to see, I'm just putting the idea out there for others to work with. The more I read, the less I seem to know. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:17 pm

The first one appealed to me, but with no German I'm a little bit concerned.

If I recall correctly, at least one of the people you mention have contributed to the forum - if not directly, by answering queries from members. I guess they're busy people though.

Anyone is welcome to join - expert or beginner.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Jaunty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Cured By Lindy Wildsmith is one I have nearly hit the Order button on as well.
Jaunty
Registered Member

Postby Jaunty » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Jaunty wrote:Cured By Lindy Wildsmith is one I have nearly hit the Order button on as well.

Well I was shopping at Amazon and this fell in to my basket, now delivered. Informative, lots of great photos and step by step guides. 288 pages or so, chapters are

Introduction
Salted
Spiced & Marinated
Dried
Smoked
Potted
Pickled
Raw

Highly recommended.
Jaunty
Registered Member

Re: Anyone read these?

Postby Snags » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:01 am

wheels wrote:

Preserving The Italian Way By Pietro Demaio
Packed full of recipes, tips, & anecdotes this is a great book for anyone with an interest & love of Italian food. The chapters include how to preserve Olives, Fish, Cheeses, Salami & Salted Meats. Syrups & Liquers......& a whole lot more !

Got my local library to order this a present to the towns collective knowledge and hopefully to inspire someone.
Will have to wait to borrow it.

He lived not that far from dads place in Melbourne, never met him though unfortunately.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Good idea - I must check my local library.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.