Dalton's Meat Recipes?

Dalton's Meat Recipes?

Postby vagreys » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Dalton, Percy. Dalton's Meat Recipes: A complete guide to small goods success for the meat retailer. Stokes & Dalton: Leeds, 1938. 178 pages.

Does anyone have this? The only copy I've found in the US is in Special Collections at UC-Berkeley, and for library use only. All other copies in libraries are in the UK (London, Oxford, Scotland, Wales).

This is a collection of butchers' recipes from around the UK, collected and compiled in the 30's. It appears to include variations within a style, such as differences in seasoning between the northern and southern ends of a county, etc.

ETA: The West Yorkshire reference turns out to be the British Library - British National Bibliography, not an actual copy.
Last edited by vagreys on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 pm

That would be Very interesting to read, and I have to ask. how do you find these books tom?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 pm

That's a new one for me, I hope you can find it!!!

8)
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Re: Dalton's Meat Recipes?

Postby BriCan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 am

vagreys wrote:Dalton, Percy. Dalton's Meat Recipes: A complete guide to small goods success for the meat retailer. Stokes & Dalton: Leeds, 1938. 178 pages.

Does anyone have this? The only copy I've found in the US is in Special Collections at UC-Berkeley, and for library use only. All other copies in libraries are in the UK (London, Oxford, West Yorkshire, Scotland, Wales).

This is a collection of butchers' recipes from around the UK, collected and compiled in the 30's. It appears to include variations within a style, such as differences in seasoning between the northern and southern ends of a county, etc.

Address?? as I have a day in London
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 am

DanMcG wrote:That would be Very interesting to read, and I have to ask. how do you find these books tom?

Mostly I find them by browsing the archive.org project and Project Gutenberg, both large efforts to digitize written materials that are in the public domain.

In this case, though, I first ran across Dalton in an obscure and undocumented reference to Dalton's work in the Lincolnshire Sausage Association PGI application summary.
...Dalton in his 1930’s compilation of butchers’ recipes noted that ‘Northern’ butchers such as those in Lincolnshire preferred coarsely chopped meat which gives the sausage more ‘bite’ when eaten.

Then, I found other references to Dalton and began to dig for any kind of citation, which I finally got through the worldcat global library catalogue.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby salumi512 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 am

vagreys wrote:
DanMcG wrote:That would be Very interesting to read, and I have to ask. how do you find these books tom?

Mostly I find them by browsing the archive.org project and Project Gutenberg, both large efforts to digitize written materials that are in the public domain.

In this case, though, I first ran across Dalton in an obscure and undocumented reference to Dalton's work in the Lincolnshire Sausage Association PGI application summary.
...Dalton in his 1930’s compilation of butchers’ recipes noted that ‘Northern’ butchers such as those in Lincolnshire preferred coarsely chopped meat which gives the sausage more ‘bite’ when eaten.

Then, I found other references to Dalton and began to dig for any kind of citation, which I finally got through the worldcat global library catalogue.

I want to give this whole thing a thumbs up. Forums are getting antiquated, but I applaud the digging.

BTW, my family is from VA/NC. We go back a little ways.
salumi512
Registered Member

Re: Dalton's Meat Recipes?

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:50 am

BriCan wrote:Address?? as I have a day in London

Sure.

The British Library, St. Pancras
96 Euston Road
London
NW1 2DB

Shelfmark Ref: Mic.A.10492(3)
This is a microfilm copy of an original in the Bodleian Library.

I discovered that, even as a non-member guest, I can order a copy of the book to be made and sent by electronic delivery! The fees are relatively small. So, I've placed an order. Even if it turns out not to be particularly useful, I think the historical value of learning more about the traditional butchers 80 years ago, will be very interesting (so speaks the food historian).
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Soooo, the British Library cancelled my order. It would have to be ordered a different way, at 3 times the cost and with special permission. The book isn't old enough and the author hasn't been dead long enough. So, no chance of seeing it, any time soon.

For those of you in the UK, there are copies at the following locations:

London - The British Library, St. Pancras (microfilm)
96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB
Shelfmark Ref: Mic.A.10492(3)

Oxford - University of Oxford - Bodleian Library (book)
Call No.: 1780 e.92, Barcode: 750956416

Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales - The National Library of Wales (book)
Shelfmark Ref: TX749 D15

Edinburgh, Scotland - The National Library of Scotland (book)
Shelfmark Ref: T.366.d

For those of you in the US, there is a copy at the following location:

Berkeley, CA - University of California - Berkeley Library (book)
Biosciences & Natural Resources Locked Case 1, Call No.: TX749 .D25
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Unfortunately you have to be a member of University staff to access the Bodleian without paying to join it, otherwise I'd volunteer :cry:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:38 pm

I got the same as Vagreys so it's not just an 'outside UK' thing.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.