new acquisitions...

new acquisitions...

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Found a copy of British Cookery (Boyd) in good condition for $1.84, a copy of Sausage and Small Goods Production (Gerrard) in like-new condition for $20, and a 1930 2nd edition copy of The Butchers' Manual (Palframan) in good condition for $11.32. Not a bad book hunting day.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Lucky you!!!

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Re: new acquisitions...

Postby salumi512 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:45 am

vagreys wrote:Found a copy of British Cookery (Boyd) in good condition for $1.84, a copy of Sausage and Small Goods Production (Gerrard) in like-new condition for $20, and a 1930 2nd edition copy of The Butchers' Manual (Palframan) in good condition for $11.32. Not a bad book hunting day.

I should come visit when I go see my family in Va Beach this summer. I think we could share a bourbon and a pork shoulder.

I really like all the historical and scientific food literature as well.
salumi512
Registered Member

Re: new acquisitions...

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:11 am

salumi512 wrote:...I should come visit when I go see my family in Va Beach this summer. I think we could share a bourbon and a pork shoulder...

We could, at that! If I'm not off on a job, you're welcome to come by for some 'que. I keep a bottle of Maker's, Woodford Reserve, and some Tennessee sour mash on hand. I can throw some picnics on the smoker the night before and have 'em ready by suppertime the next day.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 pm

What's Sausage and Small Goods Production like Tom? It's one I've not got.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:27 pm

wheels wrote:What's Sausage and Small Goods Production like Tom? It's one I've not got.

Don't know, yet, Phil. Mine's a 1976 edition, so it is a little later than the copy Parson Snows used to reference (1972). Don't know how much may have been changed/dropped between editions. It's shipping from Florida, so I'll let y'all know once I've seen it.

Oh, and on the Finney, I'll get back to you about the Nuyo. Still looking at various recipes trying to figure out what the difference might be between a "Yorkshire" and the Finney "New Yorkshire" seasoning blend. For myself, I'm just going to use the Yorkshire seasoning for the recipe, here on the site, and go with that as my alternative to the Yorkshire #1 in my edition of Finney. What's clear is that the 1923 edition has fewer recipes than the 1938 edition, over all. Since the 1923 edition is in the public domain, it might be worthwhile to do a concordance between the '23 and the '38, given that the '38 has become very difficult to obtain, and the '23 is widely available as a new reprint.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Wow. My copy of the Butchers' Manual is shipping from Abercarn, today. One day turnaround. Not bad! Now, to see how long it takes to get across the puddle...
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:01 am

It won't if I can catch that postman! You mean you beat me to this one. :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy it Tom.

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:27 am

wheels wrote:It won't if I can catch that postman! You mean you beat me to this one. :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy it Tom.

Phil :D :D

Just noticed the others at reasonable prices! :oops:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Tom

I've got a copy of Sausage and Small Goods Production (Gerrard) from 1951 if there's anything you want to check out.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Cool. I'm on the road, at the moment, but when I get back, I'll resume comparing editions with you.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:12 am

Got home, last night, and my copies of British Cookery and Sausage and Small Goods Production arrived, today! Both are in great shape. The copy of British Cookery contained a bonus - a hand-written recipe on an index card for "Runner Bean Curd".

Sausage and Small Goods Production is a nose-to-tail address of commercial sausage and small goods production, from eqiupment, materials and ingredients, to costing, preparation, and recipes, to quality control and (UK) regulations. The recipes aren't numerous, but they are basic and representative.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:14 pm

My copy of The Butcher's Manual of Hints and Recipes, 2nd ed., arrived night before last. It is published by John Crampton & Co., Ltd., and like the Heller and Finney books, is a butcher's manual published by a spice trade company, with recipes that specify their spice, rusk and additive products. One of the things I like about this volume is that they provide an alternative spice blend recipe if you don't have any of their proprietary blends for "pork sausage seasoning" or "beef sausage seasoning". Unfortunately, all they say about Melton Mowbray Pork Pies is to use their Melton Mowbray pie seasoning.

Still, my copy has definitely been used. It has no date, but is a 2nd edition, so somewhere around 1930. The previous owner's name is stamped in the front of the book - "Rainhill Piggeries, Mill Lane, Rainhill, Liverpool." The cover was blue cloth hardback with gold lettering, and the spine has faded to lighter purple due to light/sun exposure. The pages are high-grade enameled paper (high clay content typical of that period), and in great condition.

This is fun stuff.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:18 pm

vagreys wrote:Still, my copy has definitely been used. It has no date, but is a 2nd edition, so somewhere around 1930. The previous owner's name is stamped in the front of the book - "Rainhill Piggeries, Mill Lane, Rainhill, Liverpool." The cover was blue cloth hardback with gold lettering, and the spine has faded to lighter purple due to light/sun exposure. The pages are high-grade enameled paper (high clay content typical of that period), and in great condition.

This is fun stuff.

Hi Tom, just reading this post and noticed the Rainhill address. My ex-wife used to live on Mill lane Rainhill. Although I can't say exactly where the piggeries were, an educated guess would place them down the bottom of the lane near to Manor farm (c.1600) which is now a pub. They are very old buildings made out of red sandstone which would have been quarried locally - literally just over the road from the farm. When I was a butcher in the 1970's, one of our shops was situated in Rainhill village on the Warrington - Liverpool road (A57). The shop was originally a 'Shambles' which is a name given for a place of blood letting (slaughtering). Cattle were brought from Lord Derby's estate and taken to the weigh bridge at the BICC factory in Prescot. The cattle would have been walked the few miles to the shop and slaughtered in the rear yard. The 'bullock rings' were still attached to the sandstone wall in the rear yard when I worked there and a meat rail ran from the yard along an enclosed entry and into the front of the shop. The buthers shop is still trading and still makes their own pies sausages and cooked meats. Yes - its a small world !
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 pm

I missed this post from the day before I packed up my kids to move them to their new homes across the country. Sorry to have missed it. Yes, indeed, it is a small world, and very cool when we find common links outside the cyber world.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Next

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.