Anyone need help with pig rearing?

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Anyone need help with pig rearing?

Postby Vernon Smith » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:27 pm

This is an offer of help and exchange of information to anyone that raises their own pigs. I have quite a lot of experience at smallholding level (say up to 50 pigs) of breeding, raising, fattening, health care, slaughtering, butchering, etc. In fact from cradle (farrowing pen) to grave (butchery). Anyone want a chat or some info, just let me know. I am interested to see who else imight be trying what I am doing as a profitable hobby.
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:16 am

Hi Vernon...

I don't need any help in raising pigs but I did build an extension (being a Builder in real life).... on a piggery in Nazeing in Essex, England a few years back.

We were working there for about six months and I got quite used to the squeeling and the smell of a closed herd.

I'm afraid there was non of the open space free range for these poor piggies they were kept in warm half lit pens and the lights only came on when the bells went and the food dropped from above. They were closely looked after by the staff and any sign of a malady in one of the pigs then it was for the hammer instantly......no messing.

When we arrived .... work we had to strip and shower and go through the
decontamination process and put on all the sterile clothes before we entered the actual piggery.......and the same on leaving the place after the days work.

I was always amazed at the cleanliness of the little pink beggars and it was an education to go around the different pens from the serving pens whre the sows got their come uppance and the huge boars that did the business daily.........then birthing pens where you could see these huge sows with a dozen or more little pink piglets that were always hungry...

I don't know how many pigs there were there but it must have been thousands because every day they were despatched all over the world and they were continuously being hearded from one section to the next it was like a production line.

Again it was a surprise to find that they were a very clean animal and they instinctivly knew that they did their business the other sice of the slurry grid which was automatically flushed down and their sleeping section of the pen....although it was concrete, under the concret was a special pad of polystyrene that made the concret warm to their bodies.

All the little piglets the were put down they incinerated and the smell of roast pork filled the air all the time......the big pigs especially the big old sows...went over to the hounds for feed.

I suppose that is one job I am glad is finished and I don't have to have three or four showers daily.

Well it's my bedtime now and I want to wake early to watch the Malaysian Grand Prix...............

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:16 am

Hi Rik,
SE Herts. Where? I am from Potters Bar originally before I drifted to the S. Pacific for an early retirement.

Yes, intensive husbandry can be an eye opener can't it. I am sure my pigs have a much better time. Kept in a clean warm environment with plenty of space and hosed down 4 or 5 times a day. I keep only 5 pigs per 10ft x 10ft pen. I breed mainly Yorkshire/Landrace crosses with some Belgian Durocs. I got my breeding stock via the Taiwanese embassy here. The problem in the tropics with the English species, being white, is sunburn. They must be fully shaded. We are fortunately quite disease free so all in all my stock is humanely raised and I am satisfied ethically with the end product.
Cheers for now,
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:26 am

Hi Vernon......

It is such a small world ....I live in Goffs Oak which is a stones throw from Potters Bar.

Mind you Cheshunt and the surrounding area has changed so much over the last ten years with all the high priced houses being built.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby porker » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi Vernon,

Good offer, I have kept pigs in the past, but until now was unable to process them myself, but I'm learning thanks to this friendly lot.

My wife and I have been searching the world for our 'Garden of Eden' we have given up on the UK, just too much to do to put things right! As yet we have been unable to find our wee place! Can you tell us more about where you are and how things are ? Thanks meantime

Best Regards :)
porker
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:14 pm

I would love to keep my own pigs, raise them, then get them slaughtered and make them into sausages and bacon :D But alas, I have no space :(
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby louie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:45 pm

Vernon Smith wrote:Hi Rik,
SE Herts. Where? I am from Potters Bar originally before I drifted to the S. Pacific for an early retirement.

Yes, intensive husbandry can be an eye opener can't it. I am sure my pigs have a much better time. Kept in a clean warm environment with plenty of space and hosed down 4 or 5 times a day. I keep only 5 pigs per 10ft x 10ft pen. I breed mainly Yorkshire/Landrace crosses with some Belgian Durocs. I got my breeding stock via the Taiwanese embassy here. The problem in the tropics with the English species, being white, is sunburn. They must be fully shaded. We are fortunately quite disease free so all in all my stock is humanely raised and I am satisfied ethically with the end product.
Cheers for now,
Vernon

Dont you think 10 foot by 10 foot is a bit small for five pigs?
louie
Newly Registered

Postby Vernon Smith » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 am

Louie,
No problems at all. 10 x 10 is not too cramped provided the pigs interact well and don't fight. Mine are always from the same litter and once the hierarchy has been astablished amongst the siblings they thrive. Perhaps you have diferent views wherever you are. BTW where is that?
Post your views and or experiences please.
BR Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby louie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi we live in Southampton Hampshire UK.

We keep and breed rare breed pigs ours are free range. The types we have are Tamworth saddleback and GOS. We raise our meat pigs in an out door run around 40ft x30ft normally about 7 per pen that size. But the amount changes due to the weather and what runs we have spare and the number of pigs born. I like to see my pigs break into a run now and then and they seem very happy being able to dig and mud bathe and snooze in the sun.

Many Thanks

Louie Sibley
louie
Newly Registered

Return to Livestock