Any fellow chicken keepers here?

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 pm

It was the eggs I was really after, my daughter wouldn't be too happy with me if I (intentionally) kept them for meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ruralidle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Phil

I have a daughter with a similar view. Even when the hens are old and not laying we still have to buy food for them until they shuffle off this mortal coil naturally (either their age, illness or with the attention of Mr Fox). She is also the main reason why I don't keep pigs .... they would never get to be delicious bacon, ham or sausage .......... and that's the only reason that I would want to keep them for :) .
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby franyanne » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 pm

I have never had much luck with posted eggs.

I bought 20 Indian games via post, & only 1 hatched.

I have had mixed results, I do think it depends on how they are handled in the post, I am a bit worried as it has been so cold and I'm not sure how they will stand up to a night in a post van! :(
if at first you don't succeed try try again, if at first you do succeed don't die of shock!
franyanne
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:20 am

Good luck Franyanne. By the way everyone, Quail tastes good any way you cook it. :wink: I had a silky x bantom choke on a fish bone last night. She was in a lot of pain, so I gave her the mercyfull chop with my machete. Sad as she was a real honey. I wasn't sure what had happend until I did an autopsy, so was a bit suspect about eating her. I burned the feathers on the fire and put her in the Punga (eel trap) for bait. Smoked eel for lunch tomorrow. Yum
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby yotmon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 am

franyanne wrote:
I have never had much luck with posted eggs.

I bought 20 Indian games via post, & only 1 hatched.

I have had mixed results, I do think it depends on how they are handled in the post, I am a bit worried as it has been so cold and I'm not sure how they will stand up to a night in a post van! :(

Just wondering how many of the eggs hatched out. Don't think the cold would effect the eggs until the start of incubation. Remember reading somewhere about a producer filling his incubator and was an egg short, so just got another one from the fridge (a fertilised one) and they hatched.
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Any fellow chicken keepers here?

Postby The Salted Pig » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 pm

We have kept chickens for several years now, a mixture of Buff Orpingtons, Black Rock, and rescued commercial breeds. Add to this we also kept Alyesbury ducks for a while, primarily for eggs, although some did end up on the dinner table.

Since we moved to Notts, we have downsized to only 3 hens and a cockeral, but unfortunately lost a couple of the hens to some of the local wildlife. So now down to one hen and the cockeral, and we are still getting an egg a day, even at this timeof year. Will be looking to re-stock in the springtime, as the days get longer..
The Salted Pig
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Livestock