killing pigs

Keeping pigs or any other animals

killing pigs

Postby lauraj » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:30 am

we are about to home kill 2 pigs.

we have done this often, but the butchering is very rough ie in lumps.

this time we need to take out the "bacon" bits...can any one point me to a web site,that does a step by step guide...thanks

wife of the pig killer
lauraj
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:13 am

Othmar's tutorial is very good..

http://members.shaw.ca/masterbutcher/meat_cutting_tutorial/meat_processing.html

You could do no better than to purchase the 'Pig in a Day' DVD from the River Cottage site http://shop.rivercottage.net/rcv2/shop/media.jsp?shop=videodvd&filter=dvd it is very explanatory..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Terry » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 pm

There is also a guy on Ebay that does a DVD called "How to butcher a pig"
I have one and found it quite good. Cost was about �8

Terry
Terry
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Mon May 28, 2007 3:52 am

Just got back into circulation re the forum. Didn't know that home slaughtering was legal back home (the UK). Here in the Solomons regrettably anything goes. A common method (not for the squeamish) is to light a big fire of coconut fronds - very fierce heat - then tie up the live pig and throw it in the fire. DREADFUL!!! The idea is that as the pig dies the hard work of hair removal is circumvented. In many S. Pacific and other developing nations neither human rights nor animal rights are high on the agenda. My pigs are 100% humanely treated. For interest, how do you put yours down? I use an Austrian Sturmer bolt gun. Excellent device! The animals feel nothing at all so the adrenaline factor doesn't affect the meat quality.
How did your pork turn out?
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby duames » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Vernon Smith wrote: Didn't know that home slaughtering was legal back home (the UK).

i believe, contrary to popular belief , it's perfectly legal for personal consumption , but you can't sell or trade the meat in any way .

would love to see the look on my neighbours faces if i did though :evil: :evil:
duames
Registered Member

Killing Pigs

Postby Vernon Smith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:23 pm

My Goodness, nice to see that this thread is still active after more than 2 years. Many pigs bred, reared, slaughtered and converted into bacon, ham and small goods in that time. I'm just about to smoke an 8kg ham today. The last part of the most recent slaughtering is the head so brawn will follow next week.
Happy slaughtering,
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:38 am

Vernon

It's great to see you back on the forum. How about starting a thread to tell us all what you've been up to?

I know I'm not the only member that's interested.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Demeter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 pm

wrote:“Don't take a butcher's advice on how to cook meat. If he knew, he'd be a chef."
Demeter
Registered Member

Killing Pigs

Postby Vernon Smith » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:07 am

Phil,
Thanks for the posting. I will start a new thread under "chatter" to catch up with events. Hope it is of interest.
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Mr. Smith, why don't they kill them first? I'm no prairie fairy or tree hugger but that sounds a bit cruel. We have burned the hair off before but never on live animals. Also use a syrup kettle with a couple of pine boughs thrown in the water. When the water gets to 140 we dunk the carcus in there. Don't know what the bow does to aid the removal of the hair but that's the way I was taught and it works a lot easier with than without.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 am

Jogeephus, I agree that killing the pig first would be the humane way but the some indigeneous Solomon Islanders are lazy, so having hog tied the poor beast, throwing it into the fire is the easy way out. Life in the rural Solomon Islands is still very primitive and hasn't changed much in millennia. I use hot water myself, like you. It doesn't take long. I don't immerse the carcass, just cover it with hessian sacks and pour the hot water over it in workable areas. No need to rush. We use deg C here now not deg F. Your 140 deg F subtract 32 then multiply by 5 & divide by 9 = 60 dec C. Exactly the temperature I aim for.
All the best, Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:32 pm

It's the same rules here re: home slaughter - ok for personal consumption - but not for sale.

sounds like the pen pusher who came up with that one owned shares in a abattoir!

In Australia, this rule applies for all poultry as well.

crazy.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 am

Mitchamus, I have some friends in Aus who kill their own, animals, not each other, usually with a high power .22 bullet to the head. Excellent, but all firearms are strictly prohibited here in the Solomons so regrettably livestock here often meets a slow and excruciating end. How is game treated in Aus? If you shoot a kangaroo or wild pig or buffalo can it be sold? One marksman/woman (please note the gender equality) would have a hell of a job munching his/her way through a 2,000 kg buffalo :lol:
All the best,
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 am

It can be done, but only by a person approved to harvest game, or a commercial shooter.

The carcass is only allowed to be field dressed only - basically bled, & the pluck left in (for inspection), skin has to be left on as well.

Then the carcass has to be then delivered (after tagging) to an approved game processing facility.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Return to Livestock