organic pigs

Keeping pigs or any other animals

organic pigs

Postby bogoiler » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:27 pm

anyone running a organic pig unit i only have 6 sow but im thinking of converting the whole farm over to organic and would like to talk to some one who has allready done it
thanks
steven
bogoiler
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 pm

I have a buddy that has a cattle farm, wanted to do the same thing. You can go without injections and everything for you herd, the problem with going organic, is if you want to be certified organic the feed also has to be certified organic. This becomes very cost prohibitive, Some of the field where the corn is grown is sprayed, therefore no go for organic. We call it near organic, or natural raised beef. Sells at a premium still and is also within reasonable costs.

That's all I know, and the beef is incredible. To give you an idea on market price, we have just found a source for "natural Berkshire hogs" at $2,00 lb dressed weight whole hog.
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby bogoiler » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:37 pm

yep been looking into it , take up to 2 years to convert land over during that time livestock hav to be treated as organic but can't be sold as organic ,pig feed is around �10/20 kg bag but i have seen someone selling organic pork at �200 for a 20kg side of pork,the problem i would have is i can't grow corn so would have to find a supply of organic straw for bedding in winter got aload of info fron the soil assication will have to sit and read it may nt go for organic but time will tell
thanks
steven
bogoiler
Registered Member

Return to Livestock