Any Beekeepers??

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Any Beekeepers??

Postby Rivermute » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:28 am

Any Beekeepers here?

Getting bees for the first time this year. From what I have heard it is one of the most bennificial things somebody can do with their land. Scaling back on the poultry due to local regulations so need something else to occupy my time. Also hoping to give mead making a try
Rivermute
Registered Member

Beekeeper

Postby jstrecker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:00 pm

I am a Beekeeper , poultryman and Pigfarmer! I am a sideliner beekeeper in Virginia and our teach our club's beginner beekeeping classes. I have been keeping bees for 10 years. I would suggest you join a local group so you have some mentors to help you through those anxious moments. We are using two text books this year for teaching: The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum and Beekeeping Basics from Penn State. I have really enjoyed bees and learned much about not fighting nature! I wish you the best! I have 10 hives and proceeds of my honey sales offset the price of supplies, but not the labor!
jstrecker
Newly Registered

Postby porker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:41 am

I have kept bees for a few years, and I've spent a small fortune on them and equipment.

My recommendation to anyone starting out would be to find a friendly beekeeper to advise them, supply a swarm. I would highly recommend the following site and its method of keeping bees

http://www.biobees.com/forum/

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Return to Livestock