Pigs suitable for Serrano style ham

Keeping pigs or any other animals

6 Years!!

Postby rogpayne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi, Thanks for the information that does sound encouraging. I have much more chance of finding an old style fat pig here (Thailand) than in some western countries. I didn't think the hams were stored for that long! I thought it was a couple of years or so. You must be tempted to try it after all this time? Actually on that topic once you have cut into the ham how long should it keep and how would you store it? Many thanks. javascript:emoticon(':)')
rogpayne
Registered Member

Postby dorsets21 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:28 pm

it last about 5 minute in this house, but normally it last about three week when you first cut into it ,you can make it last abit longer on the bone by smiring lard over the exosed area,but will keep for about 3-4 months if you vac pack sliced waffer thin, big bit are to tough :)
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Postby rogpayne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 pm

dorsets21 wrote:it last about 5 minute in this house, but normally it last about three week when you first cut into it ,you can make it last abit longer on the bone by smiring lard over the exosed area,but will keep for about 3-4 months if you vac pack sliced waffer thin, big bit are to tough :)

Yeah, anything I make here lasts about as long! Thanks for the info I must invest in a vac. packer. Something I have been promising myself for some time now.
rogpayne
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Livestock