Kune Kune suitability

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Kune Kune suitability

Postby Billy Rhomboid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 pm

I have seen a couple of Kune Kune boars going at a very reasonable price. Has anyine any experience of using them for meat? I have only ever associated them with pets.
Billy Rhomboid
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi. Kunekune pigs are best eaten before they are 6months old. After that, they get too fatty and not worth the trouble. If killed young, they are one of the nicest eating pigs. They do make nice pets. My friends have 1 that knows how to sit on comand, for a good ol' scratch behind the ear. Good luck mate.
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby tristar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Sam, don't forget that this forum is a place where the members can take something as mundane as fat and can transform it into something magical! :D
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 am

Thanks Tristar. You are absolutely right. I realise the importance of fat. I am talking about the difference between the Kunekune's and the pigs people are used to eating. Another good tip to mention,: For extra flavour, feed them fruit at least 2 weeks before they are killed. This can be easy if you time them with when the fruit is ready to drop off the trees. Going with nature. Anytime between 3months old and 6months old is cool.
GO 4 IT! 8)
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to Livestock