MY NEW GOAT

Keeping pigs or any other animals

MY NEW GOAT

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 am

Image This is my new goat. Some idiot drove over the Mangamuka Gorge too fast and this poor little goat fell off the back of their trailer. She has hurt her horn on impact and was a mess. I am cleaning her wound daily with epsom salts. She is a very friendly goat and I have given her a great job to do tidying up my property. I have her tethered to the old honda wich is now her bed car. I pick her special banana leaves and sugar kane every day and she is great to have as a weed control. She eats everything that nothing else wants to eat. She is young and I hope to take her to a stud next year to let her produce milk and a baby wich can later be turned into cheese and sausages. YUM!
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 am

That's one lucky goat Sam. Good job you came along to resue her.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:43 am

:D She is such a honey. She fell in love with me straight away. When we first found her, I left her with my partner to go get the rope, she didn't want me to leave her. So funny. If I'm not right next to her, she maa's all day long until I return and give her pats. I have named her Yak because she's such a talker. My lawnmower man won't be happy. :lol:
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 am

You can click on the photo to see the image in it's full size.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Billy Rhomboid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 am

Nice looking goat. I keep trying to sneak a few goats in, but my wife is adamant that we shall not have goats, simply because she is fed up of chasing escaped sheep and imagines goats will be much worse. She may have a point, but I still covet some. Maybe if I tie a sheep fleece over one she might not notice...
Billy Rhomboid
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 am

Goats have a little more brains than sheep and treated right, can be easy and make great pets. The bad thing about goats is if they do get out, they will eat and ringbark every tree that you have. Sheep are more grazers, meaning they wander and always want to get through the fence even when there is plenty to eat. They also have more problems with flystrike, footrot etc. If you get a young goat of a nice breed, you should be able to teather it and your wife will find it much easier than sheep overall. My friend has a naughty ram that I'm trying to convince to put into the freezer in the shape of chops. He keeps nocking her over with her shopping. :evil:
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Sam,
Before you transfer that ram into chops, make sure that he is fixed up!!
Otherwise you can smell the chops cooking about a mile downwind.
Four legged Goats are wonderful, unlike the two legged variety we have in Government here.
Look after her Sam.
Best Wishes.
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 am

looks like an Alpine... should be good for milk...
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:36 am

We have decided not to kill Ram. He is getting too old now as mentiond don't want the balls flavour through the meat. With wild boars, we make the 1st cut to the throat then the 2nd cut is getting those bits out immediatly without bursting the piss and reproductive sacks. Goat is happy and doing a wonderfull job of eating down where the garden is going. I have been giving her peach blossum pruinings as a treat. Yum!
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Return to Livestock