Feeding Pigs Meat

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Postby Sam Newman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:16 am

My friend now feeds possums to her domestic pigs too. She says that now they are older, they prefer the possum meat over a nice big organically grown pumkin. :shock:
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby mitchamus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:52 am

Richierich wrote:Perhaps it might be possible to transfer the thinking to pigs. But the B in BSE means bovine, not sure of PSE? A pig could be considered an omnivore could it not, perhaps its physiology is a wee bit different.

that's the kind of thinking that got BSE started... :)
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:51 am

Yes. I agree. They are also known to be cannables. when I get a wild pig deep in the bush, I don't want to carry the extra weight of the guts so I burry them in the bush in a shallow grave wher within a week, the other wild pigs have eaten the lot. My friend fed his DUROX pigs trotters and bacon offcuts and they always wanted more. A cow is a vegetarian with 4 stomachs for digesting grass. Pigs are like us. Thats why they use pigs hearts and livers as an alternative to a human as a transplant.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Snags » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:12 pm

local girl here feeds her pigs jack fruit

far more exotic than black footed acorn eating pigs :lol:
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Snags wrote:local girl here feeds her pigs jack fruit

What is jack fruit?
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world, reaching 80 pounds in weight and up to 36 inches long and 20 inches in diameter. The interior consists of large edible bulbs of yellow, banana-flavored flesh that encloses a smooth, oval, light-brown seed. When fully ripe, the unopened jackfruit emits a strong disagreeable odor, resembling that of decayed onions, while the pulp of the opened fruit smells of pineapple and banana

http://www.google.com.au/images?q=jack% ... 24&bih=614
Snags
Registered Member

Very cool

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:13 am

Very cool Snags. Discovery Coast, is that in Auz? We have a palm tree called Nikau, that has a bulb full of berry like fruit inside that gets up to 90cm. Nearley a meter, on a tall coconut type palm. Very tastey. The only thing is it kills the tree to harvest it. If you would be interested in sending a seed, young seedling, or cutting in exchange for a Nikau seed or seedling, PM me. cheers. Sam.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:38 am

Yes Discovery Coast is Central Qld
Don't think its legal for me to receive seeds in Australia(quarantine restrictions.)but thanks for the offer
You cant even send seeds within Australia especially to Tasmania and WA from other parts.
If its legal to send seeds to NZ from Australia I will ask to get some seeds and send them.
Let me know if its legal
They are a subtropical tree so you would need to shelter it from frosts
Hessian tent and wind breaks maybe in Winter or against a stone or brick wall.
Snags
Registered Member

RE: sending seed

Postby Sam Newman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:25 am

I would give it its own hothouse. Maybe if you dipped the seeds in chockolate and sent them as a lollie. just kidding. Don't send them if you think it is risky. Cheers mate. Sam. :wink:
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Livestock