Beginners help

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Beginners help

Postby Squirrel_Family » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:03 pm

My hubby and I will be moving to a smallholding next year and we want to keep pigs, we don't like roast pork but we love sausages, bacon , gammon and ham. Am I right in thinking i could ham the fore legs, bacon the loin and then use the shoulder/belly and other bits for sausages?

I like OSB's and wondered if keeping a few to baconer weight is practical/makes financial sense

I have done a bit of reading but would appreciate a real persons advice
Squirrel_Family
Newly Registered

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:18 am

I raise pigs for pleasure and for a source of meat for my doings and I think it makes good sense to have them especially if you can purchase weaners and don't have to feed a boar or a brood pig all the time. I do this just because. Really doesn't make financial sense but I like to be completely self sufficient and not be relying on others for things.

There are worlds of things you can do with a pig. I'd suggest getting a large kettle and doing everything yourself if possible. There is a furtone in casings in each pig and cleaning one is pretty simple. I like to split mine and just cut whatever it is I want or how I want it. You can make hams out of the front shoulders too or even bacon. Endless opportunities with a pig. Very little waste too.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Squirrel_Family » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks for your perspective, we have friends who breed pigs so weaners can be had quite cheaply maybe even bartered for :)
Squirrel_Family
Newly Registered

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:45 pm

You will grow to love them and their antics. And btw - don't name them if you are going to slaughter them. :wink: :lol:
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Return to Livestock