Kunekune X Captain Cooker pigs and the mighty Zambo plant

Keeping pigs or any other animals

Kunekune X Captain Cooker pigs and the mighty Zambo plant

Postby Sam Newman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Has anyone grown Zambos before? They are like a mellon shaped marrow. I have been feeding them to my piggys for the last 2 weeks and they absolutely LOVE them! I have 2 Kunekune X Captain Cook sows about 2 months old. I'm thinking they will be the perfect cross for sausage making. The fat on the Kunekune and the beautiful flavour from the Captain Cook. I have been growing Zambo plants for over 10 years and you really can't muck it up. They are so easy to grow and the whole plant is edable. It was a terrible season for Pumpkins here, but the Zambos are still pumping it. They are great to grow by the river bank. The chooks like them too. What age is best to harvest the pigs for sausages? Kunekune are usually harvested at 3 and 1/2 months because of the amount of fat on them, but would I be able to grow them longer with the Captain Cook crossed into the breed? Cheers, Sam :D
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Dogfish » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 pm

What is Zambo? Photos? What is a KuneKune and a Captain Cook pig? Are they local to your area and upgrades from wild pigs?

Sounds interesting.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 am

Image This is 1 of the pigs on the 1st day I got them. She's such a sweety
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:02 am

And this is the other piggy. She is much naughtyer than the black 1. More aggressive and more likely to end up in the freezer sooner in the shape of sausages.
And this is a fully grown Zambo.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 am

The brown pig is almost ready to turn into sausages. They have been corn fed for the last 3 months and I am sure she will be very tasty :D
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Stoned Temple Pilot » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm

I hope your pigs turned out alright, a mix of Kunekune and Captain Cookers is a recipe for fat...

For those that asked Captain Cookers are pretty much wild pigs as introduced to NZ by Captain Cook, the trouble is when domesticated they are adept at putting on fat rather than meat

When crossed with a Berkshire or Long White then crossed again they are a lot more viable as a meat producer imho
Stoned Temple Pilot
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks stoned temple pilot. They both turned out great. I believe the trick to not getting too much fat is to eat them when they are young and put them onto pasture at the end. Sam
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Stoned Temple Pilot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Yup grass feeding is a great way of keeping them lean, where abouts in the North are you if you don't mind me asking ?
Stoned Temple Pilot
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:17 am

Cannacapital my friend. how bowt urself? love the grass up here. it's full of godness brother
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi Sam,
Where exactly is the Canna Capital in NZ. Right in the Top End?
Don't worry about fatty pigs, Good backfat is hard to source and a very important ingredient in proper sausages.
Your freezer is you best friend with an oversupply of the correct fat.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Yes. Near the top. About 10minutes south of Kaitaia. I am extremely lucky to have both coasts for fishing and the bush in between for hunting. I was amazed how little fat there was on my Kunekune X Captaincook pigs. They did make good sausages regardless. I have now planted out the pig pen in Zambos and they are taking off!
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Postby Stoned Temple Pilot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 am

Yes my freezer has 5kg of saved backfat from the last two pigs I did

I went to college in Kaitaia and now live a bit further South in the BOI

One question, did the pigs dig or with the Kunekune blood were they just grazers ?
Stoned Temple Pilot
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Good question. They did root around a bit, but nothing like what you see in the bush. They were well behaved piggys. Their pen wasn't very high and they didn't jump out. They were well fed though. Bay Of Islands is an amazing place to live. I was down there a couple of weeks ago for Search and Rescue training with the Coastguard. We took the boat out and did some doughnuts out from dove bay. Great fun. We had a pig on a spit over New Years. Came out exelent.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Return to Livestock