South Indian Garam Masala

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby johnfb » Sat May 17, 2008 5:08 pm

This is a blend of Garam Masala (one of probably 10,000 recipes for this blend) I use all the time and is seriously very good.
It comes from a fab book I have called 1000 indian recipes by Wendy Hobson, foulsham books. There are numerous blends in this book, like Mughal style Garam Masala and Kashmir style Garam Masala, but this is a personal fav.

3 cinnamon sticks broken into pieces
50grm green cardamom pods, husked
2 tbsp black cardamom pods, husked
25grm cloves
25 grm black peppercorns
3 dried chillies
1/4 whole nutmeg grated
25grm cumin seeds
50 grm corriander seeds

Method:

Roast the spices in a pan for 4-5 minutes, moving all the time, until they go slightly darker in colour and aroma comes off them.
Remove the spices from pan and let cool.
Grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
Store in an airtight jar for 6 months.

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Re: South Indian Garam Masala

Postby shrin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am

I have gone to a south Indian store and I have bought garam masala, it is a bag of 300 gr, I will have for all my life :LOL: :LOL: but the case is that it comes in grain, are many little balls of spices and bay leaves, I think I
used it like that? ??? or grind it to
see those experts who tell me
shrin
Newly Registered

Postby Marcowilson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 am

Hello All,

10 different ways with garam masala

There might be at least twelve fixings, the blend fluctuating amongst districts and families and as a rule including cumin, cardamom, fennel, cinnamon, cloves and dark pepper. Garam masala is customarily included towards the finish of cooking to safeguard the flavours, yet you can likewise utilize it as a flavour base for sweet or exquisite dishes including players and bread. Attempt to set up your own: general store mixes are regularly built up with less expensive flavours and could not hope to compare to those produced using scratch. While distinctive formulas for garam masala can fluctuate amongst mellow and fragrant to solid and impactful, it's best to utilize it sparingly as an excessive amount of can be overpowering. Like all flavour mixes, garam masala is best made in little amounts and put away in a cool, dim place.

1. Make your own

Dry-broil 2 tsp fennel and cumin seeds and ½ tsp caraway seeds, at that point put in a flavour processor or mortar and pestle. Include 1 tsp green cardamom seeds (which are somewhat sweeter), 2 cm piece cinnamon stick, ½ star anise and ½ tsp every clove and dark peppercorns. Granulate until fine. Makes 2 tbsp.

2. Garam masala salt

Place 1 tsp garam masala and ¼ glass ocean salt pieces in a mortar and pestle and pound until fine. Sprinkle sparingly finished pan fried parsnip chips, lotus root chips or singed eggplant cuts. The salt can likewise be utilized as plunging salt for fresh seared chicken or barbecued sheep cutlets.

3. Garam masala and parsley spread for simmering chicken or spatchcock

Consolidate delicate margarine, garam masala, slashed parsley and ground lemon skin, and season with salt and pepper. Isolate the skin from the chicken bosom meat, being mindful so as not to tear the skin. Spoon the margarine under the skin, smooth the skin with your hands to uniformly circulate, at that point rub remaining spread over the best.

4. Grilled barramundi sticks

Join 80 ml additional virgin olive oil, 2 cloves pounded garlic, 3 finely slashed French shallots, 2½ tsp garam masala and 2 tbsp cleaved coriander. Cut skinless barramundi into 3 cm pieces, hurl in the marinade and remain for 20 minutes. String onto doused bamboo sticks, season and grill until the point that simply cooked through.

5. Braised Puy lentils and potato

Cook finely hacked onion, celery, fennel and garlic in olive oil until delicate. Include a touch of garam masala, diced potato and puy lentils. Cook in chicken stock until delicate, include slashed parsley and season. Use to fill empanadas or hurl through pasta with a lot of additional virgin olive oil and parmesan.

6. Garam masala and coconut chicken

Add garam masala to a marinade for chicken for a tantalizingly fragrant dish. It's significantly more flavoursome on the off chance that you can marinate it medium-term, yet a couple of hours will at present pack a punch.

7. Spiced duck bosom with warm cherry tomato vinaigrette

Season duck bosoms with your new mystery element for the best ever firm skin duck.

8. Caramelized spiced oranges

Place peeled seedless orange cuts on a heatproof serving dish and sprinkle with a little garam masala. Make a dim caramel with the rise to amounts of sugar and water and pour over the orange. Mix a little ground orange get-up-and-go into a bowl of thick cream and present with the caramelized orange and crostoli.

9. Spiced chocolate pots

Chocolate and garam masala are a match made in paradise. Take a stab at blending an expansive squeeze into your chocolate mousse just before setting, or into the ganache when making chocolate truffles. To turn up the warmth on a hot chocolate, including a touch of garam masala to the cocoa. Or then again attempt these chocolate pots, which aren't for the cowardly.

10. Garam masala and currant teacake

This formula takes its motivation from the rich cakes regularly served in the teahouses of Kerala. Serve warm with Ceylon tea.
Marcowilson
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Welcome - thank you for posting this.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby homer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:27 pm

garam masala!
no such thing for a one tool does every job
having spent most of my life out of nappies cooking currys just about every which way you can imagine and mostly with very good end results, i found myself in india for my 50th birthday..so what to do while there..cookery of course much to the other halfs delight :lol:
i think most of us in this country (uk) either buy garam masala from a supermarket whith a couple of differences..general, tikka and push the boat tandoori one..i did and made it a few times also..for 49 years
on the cookery courses i attended a lot of it i already knew but did pick up a few life changing things..garam masala in the little boxes! thats what they use in india, you buy the specific masala for the dish your making, there is no such "one for everything" it makes the world of difference you still add your usual other bit and spices as per your recipe and trying different masala mixes is a good way to find that taste your looking for
another point is once you found ones you like stick to that brand as this will make a huge difference also
the ones we were using in india are "everest" brand but cant find a lot of them in the uk, ive found MDH and also MEHRAN to be good
some brands have alot of whole spices in them and are designed to be used as they are and not ground up as this completely changes the flavour and kills off your grinder if there is a lump of turmeric in the mix :roll:
sometimes you have to completely forget everything you have learned about recipes over the years and plunge into the abyss with that this isnt going to work nagging in the back of your mind and you come up completely surprised and wishing you had done it years ago
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general