CHELSEA BUNS

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

CHELSEA BUNS

Postby johnfb » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 am

My wife bought me a 1000w kenwood food mixer for Christmas and this is the first thing I made. never tasted them before but boy were they good..have made the several times since
This recipe is from the book I got with the mixer.

CHELSEA BUNS

500g (1lb 2oz) strong plain white flour
5ml (1 tsp) salt
7g sachet (1½ tsp) fast action dried yeast (I actually used 14 grams for extra height)
75g (3oz) caster sugar
50g (2oz) butter, softened
225ml (8fl oz) lukewarm milk
1 egg
25g (1oz) butter, melted
30ml (2 tbsp) light brown muscovado sugar
5ml (1 tsp) ground mixed spice
75g (3oz) sultanas
50g (2oz) currants
25g (1oz) chopped candied peel

For the glaze:
40g (1½oz) caster sugar
60ml (4 tbsp) water

MAKES 12 buns PREPARATION TIME:25 minutes plus rising
COOKING TIME:20-25 minutes TOOLS Douch Hook

1 Sift the flour and salt into the Kenwood Bowl. Add the fast action dried yeast, caster sugar and butter. Add the milk and egg. Fit the Dough Hook and mix to a soft dough on minimum speed.

2 Continue on speed 1 for 4 minutes, to knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Remove the Bowl with the dough inside, cover with oiled clear film and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.

3 Lightly grease a 23cm (9 inch) square cake tin. Using the Dough Hook on minimum speed for 1 minute to knock back the dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 30cm (12 inch) square.

4 Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with the muscovado sugar, mixed spice, sultanas, currants and candied peel, leaving a 1cm (½ inch) border along one edge.

5 Starting at a covered edge, roll the dough and fruit filling up, towards the empty edge. Press the edges together to seal.

Cut the roll into 12 equal slices and place these cut side uppermost in the prepared tin.

6 Cover with oiled clear film and leave in a warm place to rise, for about 30-40 minutes, until the dough slices have almost doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.

7 Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until risen and golden. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

8 Make the glaze. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and boil for 1-2 minutes, until syrupy. Stir in the orange flower water and brush over the warm buns. Serve slightly warm.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby denty632 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am

C'mon now johnfb, photos required....
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 am

...and when you get fed up of those, try these:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=400

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:56 am

I might be wrong (just ad a butchers at tu link) and I might now be getting paranoid, but .................

Now I know if I call this recipe a Chelsea Bun, someone (You know who you are - Robert!) will come along and say, "Oh, no it's not

It seems that there 'Robert' az a sure bad reputation :shock:

On a lighter note ... Chorley cakes are better :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:35 pm

It's a different Robert!

My Grandma always made Chorley cakes with any left-over pastry - regrettably, mine are nowhere near as good.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Cookery in general