Frozen Hocks

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Frozen Hocks

Postby piglet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm

A little while ago we had 3 of our pigs slaughtered and being busy with freezing and vacuum packing the rest of the meat for sale, I didn't have time to think about what to do with the hocks, so they were put into the freezer. I am now ready to deal with them, can they be brined after freezing? what can I use them for? any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Liz
piglet
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 pm

piglet

Yes they can be used after freezing with no problem. I have cured them with Franco's Organic cure (bone in) and boiled them for about an hour then put them in the oven to roast for 1/2 an hour to harden the skin a bit but retain the succulence of the fat. Delicious.. On a hock I actually prefer the skin and fat to the meat. LOL :shock: My wife buys them from ASDA as well.. She thinks I strip them and we eat the lean.. :wink: BTW, I give them 3 days per 1/2" of thickness + 2 days as I leave the skin on, most of the mix going on the flesh.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby piglet » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:57 am

Paul, thanks for your help.

Regards

Liz
piglet
Registered Member

Postby Crazy Canuck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:00 pm

they can be boiled, well simmered I guess, with an onion quartered and some salt and a bay leaf. a few hours on a slow simmer, and then take everything away but the meat, cut it up and put it in a pot. Add some diced raw potatoes, 1 cup of saurkraut and 1 cup of the cooking broth.

Go do something else as the beautiful smells permeate your house. After an hour of slow simmering, good as a soup on a freezing cold day!

or, if you are Italian, like me, you will start a good sauce, and then throw some Pork hocks , some spare ribs, hot sausage, home made, of course! meatballs and whatever else meat that's in your fridge.

Let it all simmer for hours, get your wife to make some home made pasta... el dente... maybe a salad.. fresh Italian bread, and enjoy!

Ohh.. and we need something good for desert too! :)
Crazy Canuck
Registered Member

Postby Ken D » Fri May 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Hocks are really good. They come out fine after a freeze.
We get our meat guy to slice them about 3/4 inch
20mm thick.
Then we preboil to drive off some of the fat. the skin is then scored so as not to wrinkle up too much.
Next, they get layered in the crock with home made sauerkraut, red potatoes, and light seasoning of salt and pepper.
Into the oven at about 180C 350F, until the potatoes are cooked...about an hour or so.
Very tasty, very simple. Great fall/winter dish on a dreary day.
Smoked hocks are to die for.....do your brine thing, and smoke them with a fruit wood, or aspen. Willow is nice too.
Same sort of recipe, but if the kraut is at issue, in either case, layer another fave veggie intead.
Get the acid snap on the side, with balsamic and a bun.
Ken D
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general