Why isn't bacon wrapped sweetcorn cob more popular in the uk

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Why isn't bacon wrapped sweetcorn cob more popular in the uk

Postby GUS » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:02 pm

I tried this last night jst for kicks, in the most base form to see what the finnicky people thought before trying it on the bbq / adulterated & spiced.

It was a winner, & was being referred to as "healthy bacon / corn on the cob" ..which defies logic in essence.

steamed cobs (fresh from the local field)
cheapo mixture of bacon ends smoked / unsmoked wrapped round, foil wrapped & bunged in the oven*

Please note we are in the uk with winter nigh on upon us.

No butter needed as the flavour of bacon juices steaming dribbles through the cob & down, ..you feel fuller, & you don't rush it & blister your mouth as per normal!

drained off the juices to add to dogs breakfast this morning.

no effort, cheap, tastey result, could & would sit well for a good while without drying out, rather than the rancid "wet" corn cobs you get in uk restaurants should you be dumb enough to order them.

Therefore why is this format not adopted by commercial outlets?

(I stuck a spare in the fridge to check out today)...will beardstroke & ponder thus!
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Re: Why isn't bacon wrapped sweetcorn cob more popular in th

Postby DanMcG » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:51 pm

got a pick of these marvels? I've never heard of such a combo, but sure sounds interesting.
Here where I live, a corn cob is whats left after you eat the kernels off of it, with the kernels it's a ear of corn.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:24 pm

That is a staple on backyard shish kabobs here in the Midwest US. Bacon/Corn, onion, flank steak, peppers with a light barbeque sauce while grilling. The bacon gets a little crunch/burnt and the sweet of the sauce is a great complement. It definitely makes kids want to eat their veggies.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby Dave Smith » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Been wrapping corn with bacon for years on the BBQ. Also done bacon wrapped new potatoes ( Par boiled first )
I do need to get out more, but they don't have enough carers to supervise.
Dave Smith
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general