Detroit Style Pizza

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Detroit Style Pizza

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Detroit Style Pizza

Dough (for two 8” X 10” pans)
Flour (Caputo 00) 100 % 300 g 2 c (about)
Water 75 % 225 g 1 c
IDY (SAF) 0.8 % 2.4 g 3/4 t
Salt (Morton Kosher) 1.75 % 5.25 g 3/4 t

Mix and stretch for 5 minutes, rest 15 minutes, stretch 5 minutes then rest 1 hour. A dough at this hydration is very wet and sticky, but should be uniform at this point. I do the mixing with my fingertips. Divide in two and cold ferment in a covered container in the refrigerator for 1-4 days. Stretch into pans greased lightly with vegetable shortening and allow to rise 3 hours before topping. In my oven, they bake for 17-19 minutes in the bottom of the oven at 475F. The pans cut nicely into 4 pieces so everyone gets two of the crispy edges. The crust should be light and airy and the bottom of the crust should be lightly toasted like a grilled cheese sandwich. I've been topping with 2 oz. mozzarella, 2 oz. provolone, and 2 oz. white cheddar for the cheese. Brick cheese is another common choice. The cheese or blend of cheeses needs to be one that will give a nice browned edge when pushed out to the pan. One of my favorite pizzas has red grapes halved, fresh rosemary and a little olive oil at the end. It is a version of a Tuscan bread called "schiacciata all'uva".

The flour I use; AP should work as well.

Fermented dough

Pans of this type were used in the auto factories as parts containers so were plentiful and cheap.

Press dough out with your fingertips

Baked

Crust

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Detroit Style Pizza

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Another pizza topped with bell pepper, chorizo Austurano, and green olives. Chorizo is a great alternative to pepperoni in my mind.

Sauce and fresh oregano added post bake. The sauce is often added this way to help the wet dough cook properly. Move the pizza to a cooling rack to keep it from steaming the bottom crust and losing the texture.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Mushroom pie

I usually only add a bit of salt and sugar to canned tomato sauce, sometimes some pizza herbs.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Homemade bacon

Crust view

Fresh sauce

Finish with diced tomato, romaine lettuce and a few dabs of mayo; BLT pizza. :D

This is a good thread about Detroit pizza
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index. ... ic=21559.0

As is this one
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index. ... ic=21992.0
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby NCPaul » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Two without tomato sauce, first shaved fennel with very thinly sliced panchetta and fennel fonds post bake

Cherry tomatoes salted and tossed with oil and lemon basil added post bake

NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kil2k » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:49 pm

How the hell did I miss this post?! This looks awesome!

Thanks Paul!

Wait... you put the sauce... on top of the cheese...?!?!
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 am

Usually sauce on top to help the wet dough to cook better. Try it each way to see which you prefer. I'll do the same because pizza. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Wow! The pizza looks great!!!! 8)
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:07 pm

They look superb, and the detail about the pans was new to me. Thanks Paul.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Those look amazing!! I am big on the Napoli "00" flour and I would go so far as to say while all purpose can be used as a substitute, if you can get the "00" flour (usually a good Italian grocer will carry it) you should. Since I have been making pasta and pizza dough with this flour it has turned it from a "pretty good" dough to an "amazing" dough. I never realized how much that flour could affect my outcome until I inquired with a source at the oldest - and my favourite - pizzaria in Toronto and he divulged the secret flour. Also, for sauce going with a very simple sauce using high quality San Marzano canned tomatoes also makes it.

Just a quick question as I would like to try your dough recipe, it looks awesome!

I have two 13" round heavy duty professional pizza pans. I can't figure out the conversion (I've had brutal strep the last few days, 104°F temperature and spent all day yesterday in the hospital on multiple IV/morphine drips since I couldn't swallow anything or even stand from the body pain - ok enough complaints, boo-hoo and all that, lol) So would I be able to divide your recipe in two to fill the pans or would I need to increase amounts?

You have done what seemed impossible yesterday, you made me starving hungry and considering I haven't eaten in almost 3 days I suppose anything would but seriously, those pies have set the craving, I now NEED to eat them too! Great job and thanks in advance NCPaul!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Multiply my dough formula by 1.5 to make two 13 " pies. You'll need about 12 oz. of cheese per pie. One of my favorites that I haven't posted yet is the pep-pep-pep-pep. You top the pie with pepperoni and green bell pepper before baking and add chopped peperoncini (yellow pickled peppers) and peppadew (sweet bright red peppers) after the pie is done with just a couple of sauce circles to finish. It is worth the effort to do this one, trust me. Please post the pictures; that pie will make you a legend. :D I'm glad you are recovering.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:13 pm

NCPaul wrote:Multiply my dough formula by 1.5 to make two 13 " pies. You'll need about 12 oz. of cheese per pie. One of my favorites that I haven't posted yet is the pep-pep-pep-pep. You top the pie with pepperoni and green bell pepper before baking and add chopped peperoncini (yellow pickled peppers) and peppadew (sweet bright red peppers) after the pie is done with just a couple of sauce circles to finish. It is worth the effort to do this one, trust me. Please post the pictures; that pie will make you a legend. :D I'm glad you are recovering.

Nice one, thanks for the advice! I will try that for sure, got everything available but the peppadew ... will have to look into that one. Think I may have to do a homemade fast cured, cooked pepperoni for the topping. If I'm feeling better by the weekend it will be on my list for sure. I got up today and tried to get some things done and after cooking lunch I was exhausted, had to collapse again so not quite there yet but thanks for the well wishes! Up side is doctor has ordered me not to go back to work until I am no longer contagious ... not that I would be able to do much at an automotive assembly plant, very physically demanding (even though I am management, I know boo-hoo again, lol)
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 am

Many times small amounts of pizza toppings can be found on grocery store salad bars.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 am

Great looking pies Paul.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Looking forward to trying these.
Thanks for sharing
Regards
Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general