Pickle Tips

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pickle Tips

Postby NCPaul » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 pm

In this cookbook (which I recommend):
https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/be ... rving.html

I found two tips for making crisper pickles. First salt cucumber slices at a rate of 1 T (15 g) per 1.25 # (567 g), allow to sit for three hours, then drain. Using 5 # (2270 g) I drained 315 g of salt and water, about 14 % loss. The second tip was to water bath can the pickles at 180-185 F (82-86 C) for 30 minutes. Processing at below boiling water temperatures for a longer period results in a crisper pickle that is still shelf stable.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Pickle Tips

Postby wheels » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:13 pm

That's fantastic Paul. Regrettably, my cucumber plants have been a dead loss this year. So, I'm envious.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks for sharing Paul. Now for a dumb question, how do you "drain" them? We typically salt sliced veggies on towels to absorb the excess water. Are you just laying them in a sheet pan?

I've got an abundance or cherry peppers to pickle and might try the 180° bath.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:06 am

I bought the cucumbers at the farmers market for a fair price. I don't grow them because the plants are space hogs (same with squash).

I drained the cucumbers by putting them in a colander set on top of a bowl in the fridge. Good luck with the peppers and let me know how it works since I'll need to do them next year.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general