Holiday Jam

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Holiday Jam

Postby NCPaul » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Holiday Jam

There is not a lot of canning projects at this time of the year (in the northern hemisphere). Unlike the abundance of spring and summer, the fruits and vegetables are more limited. In the US, Thanksgiving brings the cranberry harvest. Pears also show up in the fall, so the seasonality of this is good. This recipe comes from America's Test Kitchen Foolproof Preserving and has been modified by me. One person tasted this and called it "Christmas in a jar". :D

Put two small plates in the freezer and begin heating seven 8 ounce jars in a deep pot of boiling water.
2 pounds of pears (900 g) pealed, cored and shredded; 3 large D'anjou ones
1 pound of cranberries (450 g)
1 cup of water (225 g)
Put in a large deep pot and begin heating.
Add the zest and juice of one orange.
When the jam mixture has just come to the boil and some of the cranberries have opened add:
3 cups (500 g) of sugar
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
Stir to dissolve and heat to 215-217 F. Stir steadily with a long handled spoon as this will splatter given any chance. Check gel set on cold plate. Ladle into hot jars, lid and boil in canning pot for 15 minutes.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Holiday Jam

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Nice recipe. That's one heck of a pear.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:16 am

That sounds good Paul. Do ya think I could replace the sugar with a sugar substitute and have it work? To be honest I've never had any luck with jellies or jams
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 am

There is loads of pectin in this recipe so I don't see why it wouldn't. The pears don't need to be eating ripe.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general