Beef and Coffee.

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Wohoki » Thu May 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi, you don't need a lot of either choccy or coffee: for 500g of mince I'd add about 25-35g of really good DARK chocolate (about a quarter of a bar of the Lindt 80% I use, so a bit more if it's not as strong) and a heaped dessert spoon of ground coffee (maybe 2 tea-spoons of instant). It just darkens and enriches the sauce a bit. You'll enjoy it.
Add the coffee just after the toms go in, but wait until just before you serve to put the choc in: just drop chunks onto the surface of the chilli so it melts, then stir it in at the table (while everyone is watching!). Or, if you plate up in the kitchen, just drop a piece into the middle of each serving with a pinch of chilli flakes and a few corriander leaves on top. You shouldn't be able to taste either coffee or chocolate until after you have finished eating, then the aftertaste kicks in.

I just drooled on my keyboard :oops:

Let me know.

We do the cheese and apple pie thing in the Midlands as well. Very nice.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 11, 2006 5:18 pm

Chillies dipped in melted dark, bitter chocolate are pretty good.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu May 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Stop it :)
It's going to be hard enough nicking the kids chocolate to put in the chilli, without ideas like that :lol:
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Thu May 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Chilli was superb :D :D :D :D

Thanks Wohoki

Feedback was that it was sweeter than usual...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed May 24, 2006 1:55 pm

Here's a good dish which includes chocolate and is best made with a boiling fowl if you can find one. Halal and Kosher butchers are a good source. If you cant, then cut the cooking time down or the chicken will fall to pieces.

Ingredients for 4-6
3lb chicken
fresh chopped parsley(keep some aside for serving)
1 onion quartered
1 onion finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves crushed
2 each of 3 different kinds of chillies, deseeded
30g toasted sesame seeds(keep some aside for serving)
60g toasted blanched almonds
2 large tomatoes finely chopped, or a can if you prefer.
30g raisins
4 black pepper corns
2 cloves
half tsp ground aniseed
half tsp ground cumin
half tsp ground coriander
half tsp ground cinnamon
2tblsp vegetable oil
1 tblsp cornflour
45g good quality dark chocolate
salt and pepper to taste.

Put the chicken in a large saucepan with the quartered onion, 2 crushed garlic cloves and the parsley. Cover the chicken with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45-60 minutes until the chicken is just cooked.
Remove the chicken from the water and leave to cool. Put the chillies in a small bowl and cover with some of the chicken stock and set aside. When the chicken is cool enough to handle remove the skin and cut the meat from the bone, then cut into even pieces. Put the bones and scraps back into the cooking liquid and simmer for a further hour, strain and set aside 250mls for the sauce. If you don't want to go to all this trouble use chicken breasts and stock cubes, but it wont taste so good.
Place the chillies and their soaking stock into a blender or processor with the finely chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes, sesame seeds, almonds, raisin and spices. Puree to a smooth paste.
Heat the oil in a lidded frying pan and cook the chilli paste for 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Stir in the cornflour and the stock and leave to simmer gently for 15-20 minutes with the lid on, the sauce should have a creamy consistency, add more stock if needed.
Break the chocolate up into pieces and stir in to the sauce. Add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper to taste and leave on a low simmer, lid on, for 15 minutes, adding stock if needed.
Serve, sprinkled with some sesame seeds and parsley, and with rice and flour tortillas.

Holy mole, it's good.

Cheers

Jen

-
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 25, 2006 11:09 pm

Recently discovered Valrhona dark chocolate in Waitrose. Well worth the extra cost if you are cooking with chocolate.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 26, 2006 6:19 am

Valrhona is THE best in the world. Try some of their single-estate stuff.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Fri May 26, 2006 4:10 pm

I watched a cookery programme where they did elk in coffee once. There was an English chef (cannae remmeber his name) and an american one. The american cooked up the elk in coffee, the english one put it in his mouth then spat it out saying it was one of the most revolting things he'd ever eaten.

Haven't ever tried it myself though.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri May 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Josh wrote:I watched a cookery programme where they did elk in coffee once. There was an English chef (cannae remmeber his name) and an american one. The american cooked up the elk in coffee, the english one put it in his mouth then spat it out saying it was one of the most revolting things he'd ever eaten.

Haven't ever tried it myself though.

They should have used Jen's recipe then :D
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cookery in general