Orange Blossom Water

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Jenny

I would appreciate it, thanks.

Roseway

That's cos I shaved my beard off.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Not a bad likeness actually mate :wink:
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue May 16, 2006 4:10 pm

OK, here's a couple of ways to use your orange blossom water:

Sesame seeds halva.

4oz sugar, white
4oz sugar, muscovado
quarter pint water
juice of a lemon
1-2 tsps orange water or rose
6oz sesame seeds, toasted

Put both sugars in the water in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat. Stir well until sugar dissolves, add lemon juice and bring to the boil. Keep a watch on it so it doesn't boil over, allow to simmer for 15-30 minutes until it thickens enough to fall in heavy drops, the surface should be covered with large air bubbles. Remove from the heat, add the aromatic water and the sesame seeds, mix well. Pour into a buttered swiss roll tray or a foil tray, smooth the surface, cut into sections when cool.

Layered rice pudding.

4oz basmati rice
half pint warm water
3-4 tblsp muscovado sugar
good pinch of saffron
2 tsps orange or rose water
half pint warm milk

Soak 2oz of the rice in water for 15-30 minutes, drain and pound coarsely. Put rice in warm water in a saucepan add the sugar, mix well and cover the pan. Bring to the boil and stir, lower heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, add more water if necessary. Add the saffron and 1 tsp of the aromatic water. The rice should resemble a smooth heavy porridge when cooked. Take from the heat and leave to settle for 10 minutes, then stir well and spread on a serving dish. Soak the remaining rice in water for 10-15 minutes, drain and pound coarsely. Put in a saucepan with the milk, stir well and bring gently to the boil then simmer until the rice is tender and like a smooth porridge. Add the remaining tsp of aromatic water and mix well. Leave to rest for 10 minutes and the spread over the layer of dark rice.

I've cooked this and moulded it in a cake tin. When it's set it looks very good when turned out of the tin and can be garnished with various chopped nuts.

It's something different to try

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 16, 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks Jen

It beats the 'throw it away' option, but they both look like they will play havoc with my alleged diet. :lol: I particularly like the sound of the rice one. I have only just got into cake making and thought I would run before I could walk. BTW, I made a superb Victoria sponge the other week with large amounts of whipped cream and strawberry jam.. Did I mention the diet :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue May 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Next time you make a victoria sponge put a little orange water in the whipped cream, tsp of cognac also gives it a certain je ne sais quoi!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 16, 2006 5:32 pm

Jen

I must admit to putting some vanilla extract in the whipped cream. The father-in-law said to my wife.. don't you ever bake that cake again... without telling me.. Needless to say that was after I had sent him some up.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general