Martabak Manis, not for the calorie conscious!

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Martabak Manis, not for the calorie conscious!

Postby tristar » Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 pm

Martabak Manis (Sweet Martabak)
Jajan Pasar (literally 'Market Snack' better translated as 'Street Food')

This delight can be bought anywhere in Indonesia from streets vendors with small trolleys who will cook them on the spot from late afternoon through until the early hours of the morning.

The original street version, based on a recipe from Bogasari Flour Mills

Ingredients A:
350 grams of general purpose flour
80 grams of granulated sugar
5 grams of yeast
3 grams of salt
1 grams of vanilla crystals
400 grams of water
100 grams egg

Ingredients B:
2 grams of baking powder

Ingredients C:
Margarine
Chocolate �Hundreds and Thousands�
Toasted peanuts (unsalted)
Toasted sesame seed
Sweetened condensed milk
Processed Cheddar cheese

Instructions :
Mix all of the ingredients in list A and whisk together until smooth, leave to rest for 30 minutes .
When ready to cook, add the baking powder from list B and whisk to incorporate into the batter.
Take a cast iron frying pan of about 10 to 12 inches, add margarine and heat on a medium heat.
Pour about 15mm of the batter into the pan, wait until bubbles or holes are forming in the top of the batter (should look like English Crumpet), and sprinkle some sugar onto the top of the batter.
Cover the pan until the batter is cooked.
Spread some margarine on the top of the cooked batter followed by the chocolate �Hundreds and Thousands�, the roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, grated cheese, then pour onto the top of this the sweetened condensed milk.
Cut the Martabak in half and place one half on top of the other, topsides together.
Add more margarine to the top of Martabak, slice and serve.

For those of more refined tastes here are a few suggestions:

Replace the margarine with butter, and replace ingredients C with your choice of the following or anything else you fancy:

Mascarpone cheese, chopped roasted almonds and drizzle with honey.
Home made mint ice cream drizzled with molten rich dark chocolate.
Home made strawberry jam and clotted cream (Indonesian cream tea)
Homemade vanilla ice cream, chopped toasted nuts and grated dark chocolate

For those who like things a bit more savory, reduce the sugar in the batter leaving enough to feed the yeast, and top with:

Chicken live pate ala fois gras served with a relish made from raisins plumped in a hot reduction of a sweet white muscatel wine infused with cinnamon and cloves.
Cream cheese topped with crispy fried smoked bacon pieces, drizzled with the pan dripping and sprinkled liberally with chopped chives or finely sliced spring onions.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 19, 2006 5:21 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri May 19, 2006 10:28 am

Tristar, these look a bit of a treat, I like the sound of the marscapone version, and the two savoury ones.
As the other half is in Korea this week I'll wait til he gets back before I make one, otherwise I'll eat the lot myself!

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Jenny, really, try the peanut one with choccy sprinkles. I dream about them. They're a bit like crumpets made in heaven and served in hell :D

My wife likes them Mayasian style, with chicken or goat curry, but the only variation I like is a plain one with a fried egg and condensed milk. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri May 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Here I am trying to construct a series of 'healthy eating' menus for a cookware manufacturer and my mind is on choccy sprinkles and condensed milk!
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri May 19, 2006 4:25 pm

Wait 'till you cook one.

I'm not a big yeast/flour cook (actually I am a very big cook, I just don't like cakes :D ) but Martabak are special. I'd recommend butter over marge, but go with Tristar's first recipe. Hang healthy food.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri May 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Margarine is the traditional choice!

These are normally cooked in front of you on the street, cut up and presented in a small cardboard box placed into a plastic bag, by the time you get them home the molten margarine, chocolate, cheese and condensed milk has saturated the box and is dripping everywhere, makes you wonder what it does to your heart!

These are a special treat for me when I have been a very good boy!

My wife only buys them maybe once every six months, but after a couple of portions, you just can't take anymore, they are definitely something to be shared with family and loved ones. :D

By the way, don't get the idea that I am only a good boy every six months, I get other, different treats from my wife for the rest of the year. :oops:

However I just wish she would stop using the clicker and patting my head when I do something to please her! Woof Woof :lol:
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri May 19, 2006 9:24 pm

I shall have to make one tomorrow. This merely a rehearsal you understand for when I need to cook one for a bigger group!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general