Paella Please

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Wohoki » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:26 am

Whole pork bellies, maranaded Chinese style with Hoi Sin sauce and such like for a day or so. Takes ages over low coals, but it's superb, and any leftovers (fat chance, tho') go in fried rice.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:43 am

Neeka wrote:Coming from the Eastern Cape in South Africa, a BBQ (Braai) is not the same if you haven't toasted onion and tomatoe sandwiches as well. Make the sarnie up as normal with the butter/marg on the INSIDE, sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced onions with a little salt and pepper. They are toasted after the meat so that the coals are not too hot. Toast on both sides - slowly - so that the inside gets cooked. Very Yummy - try it once and you'll keep on doing it.

p.s. I have tried this on a gas barbie and it does not taste the same!

Yeah, we make these all the time. We call them Boer burgers! :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:11 am

Neeka - Yep will give that a go although i am sure it would be better with a steak included in the bread :lol:

Saucission: Ref Saffron I added it late because that is what I was advised and yes it did colour the rice. I got the saffron from ebay and I must admit it was good quality.
Re Bananas with a flake - this would be the low cal version then?

Pork belly sounds excellent and as I am havuinfg a bacon pig soon I willl give that a go.

Cheers all.......
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:57 am

Taffy Wiz :wink: ,

I have a mate that says he dreads the moment I light a fire cos it means that I'll be off looking for something to cook on it instead of doing the work involved!!

We cook a lot of fish oon the BBQ. Predominantly Bass but most fish can be used. I did a whole monkfish tail wrapped in Parma Ham and tied like a joint of meat. I just kept turning it on the griddle. Scallop Kebabs wrapped in streaky bacon are great.

The snails I mentioned and stuff like Calamari, cuttlefish and octopus is great. In fact given the choice I wouldn't cook calamari any other way!!

I'll often put a whole haunce of Venison onto the spit and just leave it to roast on the rotiserie section.

For veggies I use a lot of Sweet potato wedges on the griddle and Butternut squash with garlic, cumin, cinnamon and olive oil, also cut into wedges and put on the griddle.

Bananas wrapped in foil with butter and Rum/Remy (a bit extravagant I know but it makes a big difference), is great with some thick double cream!! Just put them on the coals for ten minutes until the bag puffs up.

I've just eaten and am suddenly hungry again!! Those calamarie are going on the grill this week!!

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Neeka » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:22 pm

FB - that all sounds devine! I have a lovely baste that you put on fish when BBQ-ing. Unfortunately don't have the recipe book with me at work, but you melt butter, apricot jam, some lemon juice and crushed garlic and just keep basting the fish as you are grilling - even nice under the grill in the cooker.
Neeka
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:55 am

On the Calamari I mix equal quantities of Lemon Juice and olive oil. Salt and pepper. then chop in some parsely. If you shake it in a jar until it emulsifies and pour it over BBQ'd fish or calamari it is great.

Obviously it is even better when it is your own olive oil and the lemon tree is in your garden!!! :wink:

FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:02 pm

HI FB Taffy Whiz here :lol:

Ref BBQ yep I also do a lot of fish but tend to wrap them in cling foil first with butter, a slug of wine and some herbs. So really I steam it. When it is ready I pour the juice out of the foil and then put the fish on the BBQ for a few mins. The liquid is then used as a sauce - oh gawd taste but attack :o

Re Bambi, as you are aware I get a lot of these (two roe this weekend all the way from Dorset) and often butterfly the haunch, pop it in a simple marinade and then BBQ that, it is scrummy. I tried the loin once but I prefer it fried in butter and a little garlic.

A few weeks ago I decided to run down my stocks of wild game and we had a duck BBQ. I did this chineese style and gave people one duck each. Very god but also very messy.

Cheers TW?
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:53 am

Wiz,

I'm in the process of running down my game stocks too at the moment.

I have a couple f Hares that I would lie to make stifado with but it isn't really the time of year for it at the moment. We ate all the partridge and pigeon last week and I have a bag of pheasant thighs that I think will go in the BBQ with some sticky sauce next week. I don't know what my shopping bill would be if I had to go out and buy all the wild meat we eat!

The thing is that the freezer never seems to go downand the fallow season opens in a three weeks!!

FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:59 am

FB couldnt agree more.

Dont know about you but here on the Welsh borders we get game so cheap (ended last season buying pheasants and partridge at a 50p a brace) that it is more economic than mince.

The down side of course is that evryone who comes for dinner usually ends up with pheasant this or partridge that, not that they complain cos if they did I would shoot them and add them to the freezer (wife says I would miss):lol:

I like you get this freezer auto top up as well - god knows where it all comes from, but it does. Last week a farmer friend of mine offered me 1/4 of a cow bagged and wrapped for 64p a Lb. Just could not refuse, so between that and the roe this weekend there will be a good fight on our hands to get it all in. Never mind I will get the wife to sit on the freezer - than should make it shut :roll:

Cheers Whiz
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:38 pm

Hi WW
at 50pence a brace it would be worth my while coming down there

Just where is "welsh borders", is that the price in a market, shop or do you need to know a shooter?

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Fallow Buck wrote:Wiz,

I'm in the process of running down my game stocks too at the moment.

I have a couple f Hares that I would lie to make stifado with but it isn't really the time of year for it at the moment. We ate all the partridge and pigeon last week and I have a bag of pheasant thighs that I think will go in the BBQ with some sticky sauce next week. I don't know what my shopping bill would be if I had to go out and buy all the wild meat we eat!

The thing is that the freezer never seems to go downand the fallow season opens in a three weeks!!

FB

Are your pheasant thighs off cocks, hens, or a mixture of both?
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi GB

That price is direct from the shoots. No dealer would touch them at that price it would undercut the market too much. As I said 50p was at the end of the season, most other times they are c�1 - �1.50 a brace. Really depends who you know. I am sure there are shoots a lot more local to you that down here, just ask in your nearest gun shop.

cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Take a look in the gun shop or in the Yellow Pages for pheasant shoots and get in touch with the keeper. They usually get to sell off the surplus, and can usually do a good deal on bunnies, hare, rooks, (unauthorised dogs :twisted: ) and the occasional deer as well as pheasant. Be kind to your local game keeper, but be prepared to dress your own fowl.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:30 pm

I usually just do the normal things on the BBQ - brisket, pork shoulder, pork ribs, ocasionally a turkey or pizza, pot of beans. Once I put some hard-boiled eggs on the BBQ (peeled) and smoked 'em for a bit.

One thing I like to do is take some bulk breakfast sausage and make it into a roll about 2" in diameter, roll it in some spices and throw it on the BBQ. Cook it at about 225-250� for 3-4 hours, or 300-350� for 1-1/2 to 2 hours with a couple of small chunks of cherry or apple wood thrown on the coals for a bit of smoke. Then I crumble it up, make a sausage gravy and a batch of biscuits. Ooh, that's good.

A nice appetizer - take jalapeno peppers, slice in half length-wise, remove seeds, fill with cream cheese and cooked sausage or other chopped meat, wrap half a slice of bacon around it and put it on the BBQ until the bacon is just getting crispy.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby moggy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:35 pm

BBQer wrote:One thing I like to do is take some bulk breakfast sausage and make it into a roll about 2" in diameter, roll it in some spices and throw it on the BBQ. Cook it at about 225-250� for 3-4 hours, or

puzzled here, surely that would just end up with burnt offerings??? :? :?
moggy
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general