brisket

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

brisket

Postby hoggie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:15 pm

hi all, i have a piece of brisket curing, francos no1, can i grill it as if it were bacon, or will i have to boil it once it has cured. thanks
hoggie
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:09 am

Some one on here has used it like bacon...............

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Re: brisket

Postby pokerpete » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 pm

hoggie wrote:hi all, i have a piece of brisket curing, francos no1, can i grill it as if it were bacon, or will i have to boil it once it has cured. thanks

If you boil/simmer it, it's cooked when the temperature is 155F in the middle of the piece.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:46 pm

The way I cook mine is to put it on a rack in a roasting tin with some hot water in the tin below the rack (i.e. not touching the meat), cover with foil and cook in the oven at 140C for about 2-3 hours. It comes out really juicy and succulent.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby hoggie » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:06 pm

thanks for the replies, it's my first beef cure, iv'e cured pork with great results. i thought i would try the brisket. what i'll do is when it's cored i'll slice a small piece and try it grilled, if no good i'll simmer, or roast it. it's not due out till next wednesday. thanks again for the replies.
hoggie
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:27 am

Hi Hoggie,

I use mine like bacon all the time, although it can be a little chewy if not sliced thinly enough it is quite delicious. I have also boiled it for three hours and pressed it to produce smoked beef which was also fantastic for sandwiches, salads etc.

Just use you imagination!

Best Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

update

Postby hoggie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:20 am

hi, after i cured the brisket i simmered it for 2 hours, it was lovely. it sort of reminded me of corned beef out of a tin, only much better. my wife loved it, and i've to make more of it. so success. cheers.
hoggie
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general