Kimchi

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Kimchi

Postby Oddley » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Anybody made Kimchi? I have just started a batch, the recipe from the book preserved. It's a pretty basic recipe.

So go on impress us all with your best recipe for kimchi...
:D
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:46 pm

Already done it, mate. I posted one for Jenny a couple of months ago. I'll see if I can link it for you.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:48 pm

Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks Wohoki, It's very similar to the one I'm doing now. For the next batch I'm going to have to go down to china town, too get stuff like pickled baby octopus etc. I fancy something exotic. Never know I might pull a Chinese sort!... :mrgreen: :twisted:

Hope the wife don't read this. Or the only Chinese thing I'll be getting is a meat cleaver... :P
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:57 pm

Oddley wrote:Thanks Wohoki, It's very similar to the one I'm doing now. For the next batch I'm going to have to go down to china town, too get stuff like pickled baby octopus etc. I fancy something exotic. Never know I might pull a Chinese sort!... :mrgreen: :twisted:

Hope the wife don't read this. Or the only Chinese thing I'll be getting is a meat cleaver... :P

I don't know where you live, but have you a Wing Yip place nearby.
It's Christmas Day everyday in there, and excellent value.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:07 am

London China town is only a couple of miles away, They have a really good choice of stuff there. surprisingly cheap too.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:08 am

Oddley

I know they have a See Woo in Soho. It is nothing on the scale of the one at Charlton, but they should do packs of baby octopus that you could pickle yourself. I just thaw them and lightly toss them in a bit of oil and garlic for a few minutes. I can't recall the price but they were not at all expensive.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:24 am

I did the recipe Wohoki posted for me and it was jolly good. I read up some of the Korean lore behind making Kimchi. You have to think good thoughts while you prepare it, and the jars it's packed in are buried in the garden to help preseve it. It seems to be treated with some reverence.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks Paul, I'll have a look while I'm down there. I have bought tinned baby octopus before it was in a really nice thick chilli sauce that I thought would go really well in Kimchi.

Kimchi is very much like making salami, you are trying to encourage a fermentation of lactic acid producing bacteria to preserve the product.

The next time I was thinking of doing it in the fashion of the link below. The nice red colour seems more authentic to me. I have bought kimchi before and it always seems to be that colour.

http://kimchi.pyongyang-metro.com/
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Oddley wrote:London China town is only a couple of miles away, They have a really good choice of stuff there. surprisingly cheap too.

I've just checked out the Wing Yip London Superstores. The one I use is at Croydon, and the other is at Cricklewood on the Edgware Rd near Staples Corner. NW2.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:50 pm

Thank you pokerpete. I knew there was a Chinese place up there, but I didn't know how big it was. I think I will have a ride up there tomorrow.
Oddley
Registered Member

Did you bury it?

Postby Dazzajapan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 am

A lot of Koreans bury their kimchi..the ingredients some people use are out of this world.Coca cola being one of them.
I love the stuff.The Kimchi museum in Seoul was brilliant.The cucumber or white daikon radish kimchi is probably my favourite..chanja pickled cod guts are pretty nice too.
Dazzajapan
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general