Spare ribs

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Spare ribs

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:16 am

Sorry all, and I know it is on the site but I cant find a recipe for spare ribs - can anyone help?

Cheers Whizzzz
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:37 am

jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Re: Spare ribs

Postby pokerpete » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:09 pm

welsh wizard wrote:Sorry all, and I know it is on the site but I cant find a recipe for spare ribs - can anyone help?

Cheers Whizzzz

Here's mine then.
Small onion finely chopped with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic. Add 1 tsp of salt and soften up.
Add
2 tbs soya sauce
1 tbs sugar
3 tbs Tom Ketchup
2 tbs Honey.
Add a little waterand cook through.
I put the spare ribs in at the start.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:25 pm

I really like spare ribs just tossed in a mixture of yellow bean paste and oil, bake them slow (about 110C) for an hour or two, then brush them over with char sui sauce let down with a bit of rice vinegar and grill. Very simple, very sticky.
Serve with chilli-bean sauce and/or kecap manis, chopped spring onions and fresh chillis and corriander chopped into nam pla. (Bit of a mixture of cultures, but I usually cook this when I've been on the beer, so it's a bit of a game of "Grab A Bottle" when it comes to dressings :D )

A trick I picked up in China is to blanch the ribs a few at a time in boiling water for no more than ten minutes, them dry and marinade them before slapping them on the coals. The outside gets a crust on it more quickly, there is less moisture in the surface of the meat to drip on the grill and they cook quicker with a moister inside. It does work, but isn't strictly necessary unless you want to turn out your ribs in a miraculously short time, and dazzle your guests (as I often do :lol: ) It works even better for crispy chicken wings (or, as they are called 'round hear, Dodo's Nipples.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Cookery in general forum?

Postby Michelle » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:37 pm

Hello fellas!I am not meaning to be rude but this area is for meat curing, wouldnt the "Cookery in general" forum have been more suitable for the topic of spare ribs?Best wishes!

ps-I love ribs on a rotisserie over an open campfire with whatever spices and a locally made bbq sauce :D

I love BBQ, but I agree with Georgie on this one.
-TJ Buffalo
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:31 am

Thanks one and all - point taken re the thread

Cheers Whizzzzzzzzz
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:24 pm

What kind of ribs are you looking for? Boiled, baked, BBQed?

I BBQ 'em myself. Go figure. LOL!

Peel the membrane off the bone side. Put a spice rub* on the slab (put a generous amount on). Throw 'em on the BBQ bone side down at about 225-250F. If using briquets, put a fist-size chunk or two of hardwood on top of the briquets - cherry, apple, hickory, oak, maple for a little smoke. If using a gas BBQ put some hardwood sawdust in a foil pouch, poke some holes in it with a fork and set that on the "flavorizer" bars or lava rock layer. Let 'em go for about 3-3.5 hrs til the color looks good. Then wrap 'em tight in foil with a little apple or pineapple juice or cider vinegar or combination. Put back on the BBQ for about 45 min to an hour. Take 'em back out of the foil and back into the BBQ, brush on some BBQ sauce and leave until it glazes over well.

*One spice rub I like -

Danny Gaulden�s Pork Spare Rib Rub

1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. white pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1 cup brown sugar

This may be a little hot for some folks, so one may want to reduce the cayenne a little...but that�s the way they like�em out here. I believe the brown sugar is a must, and when it caramelizes, it produces that rich dark cherry-red color, plus it taste good!
After the ribs come off the pit, I baste them with a quick coat of an old Southern recipe of vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar, for an added deeper, richer, cherry appearance, and flavor. Works great for me, and when you open your BBQ House, you might want to give it a try!
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:32 am

I'll second the dry rub technique. Last few I've done have involved a dry rub then a few hours on the BBQ with lots of hickory smoke.

My rub has sugar, salt, chilli powder, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and mustard powder in it. 2 TB each of the salt and sugar and 1 TB each of the rest will do a few racks of ribs.
Josh
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general