Fish batter

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Fish batter

Postby Oddley » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Has anybody got a really good and authentic fish chip shop batter, I've been looking and trying for ages to first emulate it then secondly search for one, now I'm turning to my old mates on the forum. None with beer in please, I'm not a fan.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:02 pm

I thought I'd have a 'google' for a decent sounding batter, and it would seem that most contain lager or beer. This one looks OK, although I must state I haven't tried it.

http://www.minehead-online.co.uk/batter.htm

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:40 pm

I think beer is pretty traditional - but you certainly shouldn't be able to taste it as discernably "beer". Alcohol-free lager ought to work equally well, I'd expect.

Sadly, I suspect most chippies would use a 'just add water' packet mix.
Batter Mixer
This machine whisks the batter mix and water. The advantage of this machine over hand whisking (besides being easier on the arms), is that inexperienced staff can achieve a consistent mix quickly and easily.
http://www.hopkins-catering.co.uk/quick ... ipment.htm

An important thing, particularly with fish, seems to be allowing it to drain and crisp for a few minutes in a medium-hot oven - especially if you are after a crunchy crisp batter finish.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Gill » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:18 pm

My batter is made using imprecise measurements. I just mix plain flour with a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, half a teaspoon of sodium bicarb, half a teaspoon of tartaric acid, and sufficient cold water to enable it to be beaten to a single cream consistency. Then I refrigerate it for at least twenty minutes.

Just before use, I mix in about half a teaspoon of malt vinegar.

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby deb » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:52 am

Possibly use sparkling mineral water in place of the beer. I think this is widely used amongst "foodies".
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:09 pm

Gill wrote:My batter is made using imprecise measurements. I just mix plain flour with a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, half a teaspoon of sodium bicarb, half a teaspoon of tartaric acid, and sufficient cold water to enable it to be beaten to a single cream consistency. Then I refrigerate it for at least twenty minutes.
Just before use, I mix in about half a teaspoon of malt vinegar.

The rest is a good thing, allowing the flour to fully hydrate, making the batter smoother.

Part of the idea of using beer, and the intention behind sparkling water or bicarb + tartaric + vinegar, is to generate some CO2 bubbles when the batter is heated.
I just wonder whether leaving the addition of the bicarb etc until after the batter has been rested, might better postpone the gassing until the batter is actually being used.

An alternative (or addition) to adding gassy ingredients, as advocated by Sophie Grigson (to name but one) is to separate the eggs, mixing the yolk in with the flour etc in the mix for resting. However the white of egg is beaten stiff, and folded in, full of air bubbles, to the rested batter immediately before using.
But I think that's closer to Michelin practice than to the typical chippie!
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Gill » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:16 pm

I find that if you add the 'gassy' ingredients late in the process, you get very large bubbles which appear very quickly and break the batter as it cooks. Adding the ingredients earlier and then activating them with something acidic just before cooking seems to result in a more even texture which is still light but less friable ('scuse the pun . :roll: ).

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:25 pm

Gill wrote: ('scuse the pun . :roll: )

:D :lol: :D
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:33 pm

Thanks guys, I will try all the idea's over the course of time. I'll report back when I have found the ideal recipe.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:51 pm

Oddley wrote:Thanks guys, I will try all the idea's over the course of time. I'll report back when I have found the ideal recipe.

I had a chip shop, and have made batter, bought ready mix, and generally fiddled about. They all came out pretty much the same. The key to success is a well mixed batter which has been rested, but not in a fridge.
Then give it a stir with your balloon whisk, coat the fish in flour, shake off the excess. Dip in the batter, and fry at 375F. The absolute key to the whole issue is the viscosity of the batter. There is a simple test, but it is impossible to describe on paper. It uses a balloon whisk and an eye assessment as to how the batter runs of the bottom of the whisk.
I'm sure some kind chippy owner will show you.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi Oddley,

This is the recipe I use for batter. It's enough for 4 large pieces of fish.

Sift 4oz/115g/1cup plain flour with seasoning into a bowl. whisk in one tblsp oil, 4 fl oz/20ml/half cup of water and 2 egg yolks. Beat to a smooth batter. (At this point I sometimes add chopped parsley). Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.
Flour the fish and dip into the batter, and deep fry until golden brown.

Best batter I've ever tasted, very light and crisp.

Cheers

Jen

PS My dad thinks your pie and mash recipe is the best he's had since he was a lad.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:19 pm

pokerpete wrote:... give it a stir with your balloon whisk, coat the fish in flour, shake off the excess. Dip in the batter, and fry at 375F. The absolute key to the whole issue is the viscosity of the batter. ...

Pete, just a quickie "for the avoidance of uncertainty" - before dredging the fish in flour, I'd expect it ti be fairly well wetted.
Would it have been held after filleting and trimming, in the fridge, in water or brine or just under cover?
dougal
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:30 pm

I would pat the fish with kitchen roll to get rid of excess water before I floured it. If it was wet when floured I would imagine a soggy layer would develop between the fish and the cooked batter.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:33 pm

jenny_haddow wrote:I would pat the fish with kitchen roll to get rid of excess water before I floured it. If it was wet when floured I would imagine a soggy layer would develop between the fish and the cooked batter.

I'd tend to pat it dry too Jenny - its just that I can't remember ever seeing anything like that happening in a chippy!
The fish just seems to appear, and I'd expect it to be stored wet (else it'd be drying out), and wondered water or weak (seawater strength?) brine?
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:43 pm

pokerpete, I agree that the batter viscosity is vital, but a recipe from one who owned a chip shop would be nice, if not too much trouble.

jenny_haddow, Thanks for the recipe I will give it a try. Thanks for the feedback on the pie & mash.
Oddley
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general