Oven cooked sausages.

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Oven cooked sausages.

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:59 pm

I asked my daughter to cook half a dozen Lincolnshire sausages in the oven .............disasterous.

Now when I cook them slowly in the frying pan they finish up with a nice colour and a tender skin and succulent so that when you cut them a certain amount juices flow out, and they are tender to the palate.

These came out of the oven a bit shrivelled looking like dark brown leather phallic symbols. Biting into them found the outside skin was tough and about a eighth of an inch thick with no juices in the sausages.

I did't want to criticise but enough is enough so the dog can eat them.

So what is the way of cooking nice succulent sausages in the oven and at what temperature and time please.

Rik
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 pm

They sound like my first ever Christmas Day sausages that were mummified with the turkey for over 3 hours :D

May I suggest a pre-heated 220C/425F/Gas 7 oven, for 15-20 minutes?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Gill » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:45 pm

It reminds me of the time when I was a student and I tried to bake one of Mr Tesco's meat pies in the oven. My culinary skills were not what they are today. Neither were the regulations about labelling; I didn't know you had to remove the plastic wrapping before putting it in the hot oven :oops: :roll: :shock: !

Gill
Gill
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:13 pm

I like to grill my sausages, but if I do cook them in the oven. I put them on a rack and cook them at 200 oC gas mark 6 for 30 min's.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:59 am

Gill wrote:It reminds me of the time when I was a student and I tried to bake one of Mr Tesco's meat pies in the oven. My culinary skills were not what they are today. Neither were the regulations about labelling; I didn't know you had to remove the plastic wrapping before putting it in the hot oven :oops: :roll: :shock: !

Gill

The first time I cooked a supermarket chicken (many years ago) I didn't realise that you were supposed to remove the plastic bag of giblets first. :) These days of course you don't even get one.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:30 am

I usually grill or pan fry my sausages. Since I've been cooking my home produced I tend to pan fry them more. The only time I put them in the oven is when I make toad in the hole and then they are cooked at 220c for as long as it takes the batter to rise and cook, about 25-30 minutes. The sausages seem to be well cooked and not tough or dry. I usually brown them for a minute or two before I pop them in the batter, but not always.
Rik did your sausages have collagen skins? They can be tough, and I would imagine oven cooking would dry them out.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 am

That's why I don't use the colagens. I find that they toughen up on the BBQ too.

Hogs tend to stay suple in the Oven and then if I want to brown them up I melt a little butter in a pan and ggive them a couple of minutes on the hob.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:21 am

I cook sausages in the oven at a lot lower temps than you lot it would appear. 160 for 45 minutes maybe in an attempt to mimic the low and slow in a frying pan.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:54 pm

Josh wrote:I cook sausages in the oven at a lot lower temps than you lot it would appear. 160 for 45 minutes maybe in an attempt to mimic the low and slow in a frying pan.

I've tended to use no more than 180C (fan) for about half an hour.
But its not that precise or simple.
I tend to oven cook when I'm doing something like Toulouse sausages with lentils.
Start the sausages with a little olive oil. Chop the onions mainly long and rather thin and add them once the sausages start to colour. When the onions or the sausages look to be almost cooked enough, add a bit of chopped garlic and stir it through the onions and oil. A couple of minutes later add a big splash of wine (� any suitable stock or gravy) and the softened, drained green lentils (maybe even tinned) and any other bits like chopped up tomato, herbs, w.h.y. ... allow to come to the bubble, taste for seasoning, shut off the oven and round up the needy.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm

That reminds me that my 220 was for a conventional oven, I'd use 200 for a fan.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:59 pm

Me too

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:08 pm

I brown mine in a hot frying pan, then finish them at 150C in the oven for about 25-30 minutes
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:39 pm

The only time I use an oven for sausages is when a trayful needs a starter to heat them through at 180C before putting them on the BBQ. This ensures that they will be cooked all the way through, and not just on the outside.
Last edited by pokerpete on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:11 pm

If i'm going to use the oven, I use the grill.
aris
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general