Pease Pudding Update

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pease Pudding Update

Postby eddy current » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:27 pm

2 recipes from Geordieland where pease pudding was by tradition an integral part of "savaloy dips".
"Savaloy Dips"
Stotty cake with savaloy sausage, pease pudding and stuffing then dipped in the gravy the savaloys had been cooked in. The gravy was a closely guarded secret.

Recipes enjoyed by the Geordie folk (North East UK)

PEASE PUDDING
Two Optional Recipes
Recipe 1
Ingredients:
(or) Pack of bacon
Salt Pepper
475g (about a one pound pack) Split Peas
Method:(1)
Place Split Peas in large ovenproof dish. Cover with Water 475g of split peas to every 2 litres of water add salt and pepper to season. Allow to stand over night. Add small pieces of chopped bacon (not the fat or rind) into mixture. As to your own requirement, remembering this is a split pea rather than a meat recipe.

Place middle shelf of oven, Gas Mark 5 150C - cook until set. Until this reaches a nice medium consistency (not too thick ot thin as once cool it sets even thicker..

When cooled place in refrigerator. Chill and serve with, salad or - with cold ham sandwiches or even with Roast Potatoes and beef with Gravy.

Many grown up's today will remember waiting as children, for this being made, and then eating it hot, pasted onto fresh bread and butter.

PEASE PUDDING
Recipe Two

Ingredients:
Large Ham Shank
Salt Pepper
Method:(2)

Place Large sized ham shank in large cooking pot cover with water. Bring to the boil, then drain the water. Replace with new clean water, and bring back to the boil.

Remove the ham shank, break off very small pieces of the meat into your stock. Enough to your own taste. Not a lot though as this is a split pea recipe rather than a meaty recipe.

Add the split peas (475g to every 2 litres of water) turn heat off and allow to steep for 4 hours. Next bring back to boil and then simmer, keep stirring and checking, as you only want the mix, to reach a nice medium consistency, (not too thick or thin) as once this cools it sets thicker.

When cooled place in refrigerator. Chill and serve with, salad or - with cold ham sandwiches or even with Roast Potatoes beef and Gravy. Has many other uses.

Many grown up's today will remember waiting as children, for this being made, and then eating it hot, pasted onto fresh bread and butter.
eddy current
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 pm

eddy current welcome to the forum. How's the water... :D

Thanks for the recipes.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi eddy current

Welcome to the forum, & for bringing back memories of savaloy dips, I remember standing in a queue for these with me dad they were called sixpenny dips & worth every penny. smothered with pease pudding & Sage & onion stuffing.
I make my own sometimes but & I use a chicken stock cube & diced onion for the gravy to cook the savaloy in, its not the same as I remember but pretty close.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Re: Pease Pudding Update

Postby pokerpete » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:52 pm

eddy current wrote:2 recipes from Geordieland where pease pudding was by tradition an integral part of "savaloy dips".
"Savaloy Dips"
Stotty cake with savaloy sausage, pease pudding and stuffing then dipped in the gravy the savaloys had been cooked in. The gravy was a closely guarded secret.

Recipes enjoyed by the Geordie folk (North East UK)

PEASE PUDDING
Two Optional Recipes
Recipe 1
Ingredients:
(or) Pack of bacon
Salt Pepper
Method:(1)
Place Split Peas in large ovenproof dish. Cover with Water 475g of split peas to every 2 litres of water add salt and pepper to season. Allow to stand over night. Add small pieces of chopped bacon (not the fat or rind) into mixture. As to your own requirement, remembering this is a split pea rather than a meat recipe.

Place middle shelf of oven, Gas Mark 5 150C - cook until set. Until this reaches a nice medium consistency (not too thick ot thin as once cool it sets even thicker..

When cooled place in refrigerator. Chill and serve with, salad or - with cold ham sandwiches or even with Roast Potatoes and beef with Gravy.

PEASE PUDDING
Recipe Two

Ingredients:
Large Ham Shank
Salt Pepper
Method:(2)

Place Large sized ham shank in large cooking pot cover with water. Bring to the boil, then drain the water. Replace with new clean water, and bring back to the boil.

Remove the ham shank, break off very small pieces of the meat into your stock. Enough to your own taste. Not a lot though as this is a split pea recipe rather than a meaty recipe.

Add the split peas (475g to every 2 litres of water) turn heat off and allow to steep for 4 hours. Next bring back to boil and then simmer, keep stirring and checking, as you only want the mix, to reach a nice medium consistency, (not too thick or thin) as once this cools it sets thicker.

When cooled place in refrigerator. Chill and serve with, salad or - with cold ham sandwiches or even with Roast Potatoes beef and Gravy. Has many other uses.

Thanks for the recipes, and I'll certainly give them a try. The only thing is that I never soak pulses in a salt solution before cooking. However I have used split peas directly in scouse pea wack which is made from the water the sheet bacon ribs were cooked in along with onion.
The split peas kept some of their form, so is pease pudding supposed to be like this, or become a thick paste like substance?
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot - nine days old.
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot - nine days old.

I'd guess a thick paste :D

Edit:

I found this after a search:

"225g (8oz) Dried Split Peas
900ml (1� pints) Beef Stock (optional)
300 ml (� pint) Water or Vegetable Stock
1 small Onion
1 Bouquet Garni
1 Egg
Salt & Black Pepper

Soak the peas as instructed.
Drain the peas and place in a pan with the halved onion, bouquet garni and 300 ml (1/2 pint) of water or vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approx. an hour or until tender.
Stir occasionally, adding extra boiling water or stock as required.
Blend the peas to produce a smooth puree, add the beaten egg and season.
The puree should resemble a thick paste.
Either place the puree into a greased and floured pudding cloth, tie it securely and boil in the beef stock for 1 hour.
Alternatively, place in a shallow, greased ovenproof dish, level the surface and bake in a pre-heated oven 180�C; 350�F: Gas 4 for 30 minutes. "

HTH

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby eddy current » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:40 pm

Just remembered, my son, who does a fair bit of cooking insists that pease pudding should be made with green split peas.
His argument, when did you last see a yellow pea!!!
Can't get through, it's traditional.
eddy current
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 pm

My wife says her recollection of pease pudding from East London is that it should be orange, thick, sticky, like bad mashed potato and taste disgusting :D
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 am

saucisson wrote:My wife says her recollection of pease pudding from East London is that it should be orange, thick, sticky, like bad mashed potato and taste disgusting :D

Yeah, that's the stuff!

I absolutely hated it when I was a kid, but strangely when I hit my late teens I suddenly grew a taste for it.
I'm gonna have to go and make some.

@ Saucisson - Your tubes are on the way.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:54 am

Just remembered, my son, who does a fair bit of cooking insists that pease pudding should be made with green split peas.
His argument, when did you last see a yellow pea!!!
Can't get through, it's traditional.

Tell him that if it's made with green split pease then the name changes to mushy peas not pease pudding.

Pease puddin' hot
pease puddin' cold
pease puddin' in the pot nine days old.

PS.....my pea is yellow if his is green you better take him somewhere.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:02 am

That's it Rik... lower the tone!!! :)
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:45 am

You're taking the piss now spuddy... :D
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby eddy current » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:04 pm

Slightly off-post.

Any one eaten Saffron Milk Cap Mushrooms (beetroot can have same effect).
eddy current
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Yes you are quite right, I was off topic, usually if it is only a joke the moderators are quite lenient.

I sometimes go mushroom hunting, but have never come across, a Saffron Milk Cap Mushroom.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Beetroot makes it pink I've found.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Saffron Milk Cap (Lactarius Deliciosus)

Spuddy
Site Admin