Pease Pudding Update

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby eddy current » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:03 pm

So does saffron milk caps, first time I ate them, the next day I thought I had some dreadful kidney disease. Although they are very tasty I kind of went off them.

saffron milk caps normally associated with pines.
eddy current
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:34 pm

eddy current wrote:Just remembered, my son, who does a fair bit of cooking insists that pease pudding should be made with green split peas.
His argument, when did you last see a yellow pea!!!
Can't get through, it's traditional.

That's odd. You can get split peas (lentils) in green, red, or yellow. I think the yellow ones look better.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:37 pm

Rik vonTrense wrote:
Just remembered, my son, who does a fair bit of cooking insists that pease pudding should be made with green split peas.
His argument, when did you last see a yellow pea!!!
Can't get through, it's traditional.

Tell him that if it's made with green split pease then the name changes to mushy peas not pease pudding.

Pease puddin' hot
pease puddin' cold
pease puddin' in the pot nine days old.

PS.....my pea is yellow if his is green you better take him somewhere.

Not in my chippy Rik. Mushy peas were made with dried marrowfat peas.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:20 pm

I must have been about eight and my mother was cooking some raw beetroot that Dad had grown on the allotment (Dig for Victory and all that_

And never having seen them before I was naturally curious and tasted one.

I liked it very much and must have eaten about six small ones the size of a tomato.

Went for a tinkle some time later and was horrified and thought my kidneys had burst or something. I came in (outside loo you see) as white as a sheet and my Mother asked what was wrong,

Terrified of telling her in case she wanted to inspect me private parts but fear finally overcame it and I blurted it out.

My Mother went into fits of laughter and told me it was the beetroot that "bled" and not my internals,

I treat them with respect now.

;.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01 pm

I had a fluoroscein angiogram recently to check out an imperfection on my retina, they warned me my pee might be slightly yellow afterwards. When I went to the loo it looked like I was producing neat fluorescent yellow highlighter ink :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cookery in general