Chutney's, Relishes & Pickles

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:49 am

Thank you very, very much for the offer of food parcels guys but I had better decline because this could get me started on the topic of the dreadful state of the postal service here.

The kindness of your offer has rather put me on the spot and I have to put my hands up and admit the truth about my NYT post.

I'm sitting here having great entertainment and at the same time watching all those wonderful looking loaves being produced by my own personal guinea-pigs! I think I originally said I thought the bread idea interesting and that I might try it myself but I really haven't had the time. The pure entertainment value of members' post on the subject has been deserving of an Oscar!
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:53 am

Royt: Did you get to listen to the Food Programme on Sunday? The part I found particularly interesting was Andrew Pelegino's advice to cook chutney quickly, which goes against everything I've ever understood or even read on the subject, but Sheila Dillon thought his medlar and fig chutney one of the best she had ever tasted.

I have a problem changing the habits of a lifetime but I might just give it a go - assuming the 'strange looking things' I saw at in our new supermarket last week are medlars.

By the way, did you hear that this week's programme is from France and about British cheesemakers showing the French how it's done!
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby royt » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi Patty, Unfortunatley I missed the program (Got caught up at work) However I have just found a recipe for a dried fruit chutney which I intend making in the next day or two . I will post the recipe when I have a spare moment . This recipe go's well with porky pies, hams and gammon

Royt
royt
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:21 pm

royt wrote:Hi Patty, Unfortunatley I missed the program ...

You can still catch it if you are quick...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foo ... 1112.shtml
Normally they are only on "listen again" for exactly one week... and its Saturday today...
dougal
Registered Member

Postby royt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Recipe for dried fruit chutney

350 grm pitted prunes
275 grm pitted dates
350 grm ready to eat apricots (dried)
350 grm dried apple
500 grm peeled and chopped onion
1 pint of cider vinegar
50 grm salt (I used sea salt)
1 teaspoon of ground ginger or 1 tablespoon of fresh
about 80 grm of allspice berries
500 grm of demerara sugar.
Piece of muslin

Method: Mince up the dried fruit and onion and put aside. Put the vinegar into a large saucepan with the salt and ginger and secure the allspice berries in a piece of muslin(so they can't escape) and put them into the saucepan. Bring the pan to boil and add the minced fruit,onion and sugar.
Leave to simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally
When ready spoon the cooked chutney into warmed jars and seal.
Takes about a month to mature
royt
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general