Easy Game Pie

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 am

Hi FB,

Jen was correctly identifying that the editor of Sporting Shooter is my cousin.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:00 am

Small world!! My freind writes regularly for them and was going to submit an article to him on my behalf!!

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:51 pm

jenny_haddow wrote:Pete,

You are raising ghosts here for me. 'Sporting Gun' was the brainchild of my father in law, his picture is on the cover of the first issue looking down both barrels of his twelve bore. 'Trout and Salmon' was one of his as well.

Sadly he has passed on now, but he certainly kept me supplied with game birds and salmon and trout while he was with us.

Cheers

Jen

Although I never read T&S, I reckon SG was my most favourite subscription ever. It was always interesting and well presented. Well, at least until factions starting fighting about who was going to run the Shooters Association. SG got too involved in it.
So nice memories for you Jenny.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:05 pm

I certainly miss the game birds, but I always found the hares a bit daunting. It has to be some of the gamiest meat going. I've not cooked a hare for years, but I can still remember that strong smell filling the house. it seemed to take days to clear.
He took me along a few times and let me have go at shooting, I seemed to be deaf for days afterwards! I was much better at the fishing.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:35 am

Jenny,

Have you ever made Stifado? It is the traditional way to cook hare back at home and is really nice. It is a strong stew but if left for a couple of days the sweetness from the onions balanced the gameyness very well indeed.

Most recipes you find will be for using beef.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi FB

I've eaten stifado but not made it, so I will bear it in mind if a hare comes my way. I always enjoyed the more robust aspect of the cooking I experienced in Cyprus, I still dream of kleftico. Wonderful food.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general