Ice cream

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Yes it goes darker and takes on caramel, toffee like flavours, I don't recall whether it "sets" at all as the structure of the sugars changes.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Yes it caramelises and thickens, gives it a bit of a toffee taste, but not too sweet. I think if you boil it for long enough it would set. I remember playing a game as a child which involved rolling a tin along the road (this was in the days when kids could play on the street). My mother let me use a tin of evaporated milk, and we played this game most of the day. When she opened the tin some weeks later it had churned into a solid with all the rolling.

Doce de leite, almost a staple in Brazil, is a tin of condensed milk boiled for about two hours. It turns into a glorious runny toffee and is the basis for banoffi pie. Kids in Brazil just eat it with a spoon straight out of the tin. You can buy it in a fancy jar here for an extortionate price. I bet it would make a good ice cream.

Cheers

Jen

I have made the kulfi without boiling the can of milk, its not so good, it doesn't have the rich colour or as good a flavour.
Last edited by jenny_haddow on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm gonna have to give this a go :D
Lee
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:20 pm

Jenny; the recipe for Gajar Ki Kheer. I'm not sure if it qualifies as an ice cream but you're much more adventurous than me, so more likely to try it out just to see.

For 6 to 8 people

3 pints of creamy milk
2 tablespoons of long grain rice
1lb grated carrots
3oz sugar
2 tablesppons slivered almonds
1/3rd teaspoon ground cardomon
1 teaspoon rosewater
4 tablespoons double cream
2 tablespoons of chopped blanched raw pistachios

Bring the milk to the boil in heavy based pan, add rice and stir for a few minutes to prevent it settling. Reduce heat to medium low and cook at a bubbling boil for 20 minutes so the rice is thoroughly cooked and the milk reduced by half. Stir often to ensure no skin forms.

Add carrots and continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the carrots are cooked and most of the milk absorbed by them, the contents should reduce to a thick pulpy sauce. Stir often to prevent burning.

Add sugar and almonds and cook stiring constantly for about 10 minutes and until the mixture is very thick and begins to stick to the bottom of the pan. Turn off heat and let cool at room temperature.

Stir in cardomon, rosewater and cream, cover with plastic film and chill thoroughly.

It is served sprinkled with chopped pistachios, in individual dishes.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:12 pm

I think it qualifies as quite delicious by the looks of it Patty. I shall definitely give it a try. I just love the cardamom/rose water/almond combination of Indian desserts. Unfortunately it's something I have to omit from the Indian cookery courses that I teach because nuts aren't allowed in school cookery rooms (allergy) so its a bit like teaching with one hand tied behind your back with this course.

Thankyou for posting the recipe for me

Jen

When it comes to being adventurous , you're the one in Bulgaria Patty!
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Jenny but (and to mix a couple of old sayings) it really was a case of: Needs must and repent at leisure!
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby mark gadd » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 pm

:lol: Prefered method buy a box of Mackies ice cream and bottle of malibu.
start with a empty bowl,hack a dollop of ice cream into it, lastly pour malibu to the desired proportion. :lol:
Mark Gadd
mark gadd
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Sorry Mark but you're wrong; if you have a box of ice cream and a bottle of alcohol you shouldn't need a bowl - a straw and a spoon should be sufficient ! :wink:
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby mark gadd » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Stuff the icecream.

Your talking to the man who never takes a shopping list and now has 3 bottles of malibu and 2 catering rolls of turkey foil.
Mark Gadd
mark gadd
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:22 am

On the subject of boiling condensed milk, the army do this as an easy toffe sauce, although they whack both ends of the tin to dent it, they say it stops the can from bursting. I dont know how or why but when your surrounded by stocky 6" blokes with guns and an urge to kill stuff you dont call them silly!
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Postby mark gadd » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Does the toffea sauce taste nice and how long do you have to boil it?
Mark Gadd
mark gadd
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi,
mark gadd wrote:Does the toffea sauce taste nice and how long do you have to boil it?
3 hours, but you MUST make sure the tin is totally immersed all the time just in case.

Not to my taste. I did it once and won't do it again. I prefer to eat my condenses milk as is.
:roll:
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general