Ice cream

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Ice cream

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Any favourite ice cream recipes?

This one looks fun:

Instant Banana Ice Cream
by James Martin
from James Martin : Sweet

A speedy ice cream from James Martin - frozen banana chunks whizzed to a tangy pur�e with delicious buttermilk and vanilla

Servings: Makes about 1 litre
Level of difficulty: Easy
Preparation Time: 15 minutes, plus freezing

Ingredients
4 bananas
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp Sugar
150ml Buttermilk

Method
1. Peel the bananas and cut into chunks. Arrange in a single layer on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, leaving space between the chunks. Put in the freezer for a few hours until frozen hard.

2. Tip the frozen banana chunks into a food processor. Add the vanilla, sugar and most of the buttermilk.

3. Process to a chunky pur�e. Then, with the machine still running, pour in the remaining buttermilk in a thin steady stream. Let the machine run until the mixture is beautifully smooth and creamy. Serve at once.

I also have a cholesterol overload creme brulee ice cream recipe that is delicious if anyone wants me to dig it out.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Robert H » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Here is one of my faves:

Maple and Pecan Ice Cream

4 oz Pecan nuts
4 egg yolks
2oz caster sugar
1tsp cornflour
1/2 pint milk
1/2 pint whipping cream
4 tbsp maple syrup

Spread pecan nuts on baking sheet and grill for 2-3 mins till lightly browned. Let cool.

Put egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in bowl and whisk until pale. Pour milk and cream into heavy based pan and bring to boil, then gradually whisk into egg yolk mixture in a bowl.

Return mixture to pan and cook over gently heat, stirring constantly till it thickens.

Pour custard back into bowl and stir in maple syrup. Leave to cool.

Churn in ice cream machine.

Fold in pecan nuts.
Last edited by Robert H on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert H
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:49 pm

This is My lemon Galeto Ice cream, The flavour of lemon is very subtle and delicious.

Oddley wrote:Lemon Galeto Ice Cream

420 mL - 1 3/4 cups double cream
180 mL - 3/4 cup milk
120 g - 2/3 cup castor sugar
6 egg yolks
120 mL - 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Grated zest of 1 large lemon

Method:
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale in colour, then pour in the milk and stir. Heat this mixture stiring all the time, until thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Take the mixture to the sink and immerse pot, about halfway up in cold water, stirring all the time until cold, then add the grated lemon zest and lemon juice, give a good stir to combine. Meanwhile, whisk the double cream until thickened to the ribbon stage. Now add the cooled milk mixture to the double cream, adding a little bit at a time until a smooth consistency is achieved. Put the custard into an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 pm

This recipe was given to me by an Indian lady in Saudi Arabia, there was also one for carrot ice cream she gave me, which I have lost! I have to make sure I have some of this in the freezer when my two young nephews come to stay, they just love it.

[url]Kulfi (Indian ice cream)

Start this at least the day before you need it.

Ingredients:

1 large can of evaporated milk
2 egg whites, whisked to form peaks
4oz icing sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tblsp rose water
2 oz chopped pistachios
2oz sultanas
1oz flakes almonds
halved glace cherries, about 2 tblsp

Remove the labels from the can of milk. Lay on its side in a saucepan, fill with water up to about three quarters of the way up the side of the can.
Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Open the can and empty the milk into a large chilled bowl. Whisk until it doubles in quantity, then fold in the egg whites and the icing sugar. Gently fold in the remaining ingredients, seal the bowl with cling film, or a lid if it has one and put in the freezer for an hour.
Remove from the freezer, fork it over and mix well, transfer to a lidded container and freeze.
[/url]

I make this in an ice cream machine in two go's because the recipe expands alarmingly.

Cheers

jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:47 pm

Tonight I'm making vanilla, this is a new recipe based on my lemon gelato. So I won't post the recipe till I see if it is as nice as I expect it to be. As you can see I have posted my recipe for lemon gelato.

I was going to buy a gaggia. After realizing the size of it and the fact you can't move it, without giving it a 24 hour rest I decided on a panosonic ice cream maker. It is the only one that you put in the freezer instead of freezing the bowl and it's small.

Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Does that mean it's battery operated or do you run a low voltage wire in?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:33 pm

It's battery operated. Disposable batteries are quite expensive, but you get about 20 lots of ice cream from 2. I bought the ice cream maker on ebay, and a couple of rechargeable batteries with charger. This all came to about the RRP of the ice cream maker new.
Oddley
Registered Member

Re: Originally posted by Oddley:

Postby dougal » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Oddley (via Saucisson) wrote:... I was going to buy a gaggia. After realizing the size of it and the fact you can't move it, without giving it a 24 hour rest I decided on a panosonic ice cream maker.

This is a common mis-apprehension, seemingly coming bizzarely from Gaggia UK's publicity materials.
Gaggia are as notorious for their comic translations, as they are famous for how well their machines actually work.

I have the Gaggia (thanks to eBay). And its instruction book. Which is in many languages.

The English instructions state
Gaggia wrote:Do not use this ice cream maker for 12 hours after purchase or after any move, which might have stored the machine the wrong way up.
Their bolding - and their comma.
Its 12 hours after it might have been upside down, in the English version.

However the italian version of the same text is subtly different
Gaggia wrote:Lasciate la macchina in posizione orizzontale 12 ore prima di utilizzaria la prima volta in quanto, se capovolta durante il trasporto, gli agenti refrigeranti dovranno rifluire nella cooetta posizione. Seguite la stessa procedura anche nel caso la macchina per qualsiali ragione sia stata riposta in posizione non orizzontale.
The italians are being schooled on the importance of keeping it level (horizontal), and giving it 12 hours for the refrigerant to settle, if its tipped up or over.

My machine gets moved, gently and 'horizontally' from cupboard to table, just before use. It hasn't complained, yet! It takes up more space than a toaster, but not twice as much. So neither large nor small, really.
It works jolly well.
Mine makes a fair racket from the churning, but not from the compressor.

Straight Elderflower cordial (plus a spot of Vodka) made a fabulous sorbet.
A sorbet from (very strong) Earl Grey tea was surprisingly popular with my young nieces and nephews.
Recently, I've been using Ben & Jerry's Sweet Cream #1 as a base.
I use a cream tub as a measure. Beat a whole egg to fluffy. Beat in a little less than 1/2 a measure of sugar, then a measure of double cream and half a measure of milk. Churn it. Add goodies.
One over-ripe banana mashed with some lemon juice and a touch of cinnamon made another one that belied its simplicity.
Adding a tub of reduced to clear Gu chocolate sauce and some old fudge chopped into tiny (pea-sized?) pieces worked well for me.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Jenny: What an unusual and interesting Kulfi recipe, it rings a bell somewhere but I can't recall with what.

I do have a Punjabi recipe (Gajar Kikheer) made with carrots and 'thick creamy milk', reduced to the consistency of rice pudding to which almonds, cardomons, rose water, etc is added before chilling. Might this be your missing recipe? I've never made it myself but will be pleased to post it if you would like me to.

When I'm in the mood, I'm an ice-cream fiend and must have a couple of hundred different recipies using everything from tofu and soya milk to double cream and more double cream, flavoured by marshamallow and raspberries to chilli peppers, ginger or even green tea. If anybody is looking for a particular flavour I'd be pleased to check and see - not that I've tried them all but I collect them.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

One of my favourites

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi, lovely thread!! I've snagged the pecan and maple from Robert, thanks very much, it's one of my favourite bought varieties so I'm delighted to find a recipe.

Here's one I do quite a lot.
@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Marmalade ice cream

british, dairy, desserts, ice creams

250 mls milk; steeped boiling with
1 pod Vanilla; split lengthwise
170 gm vanilla sugar; beaten with
8 md (20 gms) egg, yolk, raw
300 mls whipping cream
170 gm orange Marmalade; 4 fl oz

Heat the milk in a small pan with the split vanilla pod, from which you have scraped the seeds. Leave to infuse while measuring and preparing remaining ingredients.

Separate the eggs, and beat the yolks till homogenous. Little by little add the sugar and beat till light and fluffy. Remove the vanilla pod and beat the milkinto the egg yolk mixture. Add the cream and beat together. Strain into a bowl and beat in the marmalade. Cool. When cold, tip into the ice cream maker bowl switch on the ice cream maker. When firm, ripen overnight. Much better 24 hours after making.

Recipe IMH after BBC "Good Food" magazine July 2005 & Simac
Contributor: IMH

Yield: 18 servings

** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.74 **

All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Patty,

Yes please for the carrot ice cream recipe, it sounds interesting and familiar. When I had it it had been formed in a cylinder of some kind and cut into slices, very nice and unusual.

I make ice cream in fits and starts, depending on if I have enough room in the freezer for the bowl. I seldom follow a recipe, I tend to shave chocolate and mince mint leaves into it, or soak raisins in rum and a little sugar and throw those in. I did rose water and honey, and lavender and lemon was very nice. (I make lavender and lemon chutney). You can be quite inventive with ice cream. It's just lovely stuff.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:39 am

jenny_haddow wrote:Remove the labels from the can of milk. Lay on its side in a saucepan, fill with water up to about three quarters of the way up the side of the can.
Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.

A little off topic, but I've always been intrigued by this and never got an answear off anyone. Jenny, what does boiling the cans of milk do? I've seen this with condensed milk milk before, but I've never actually tried, but i wonder what difference it makes? The cans will have already been heated much higher and longer than this when they were produced, so I don't understand what further changes could happen heating it again, at lower temperatures.
I guess something must or people wouldn't bother :roll: Have you ever tried it without the heating step? just curious :D
Although not as curious as I am about how that tastes, may have to try that out next curry night, looks splendid. :)
Lee
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:04 am

As I understand it, it extends the caramalisation process further and if you leave it longer than in Jen's recipe say a few hours it comes out looking like toffee.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:35 am

Here is another of my favourite ice creams an adult one this time. I got it off uktv food. This is the wife's favourite.

Honeycomb Ice Cream with Ginger Shortbread Stars

Servings: 4-6
Level of difficulty: Easy
Preparation Time: 20 minutes, plus 8 hours freezing
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

5 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
600ml whipping cream
1 large can of condensed milk
2-3 tbsp vodka or gin

For the ginger shortbread stars:

175g plain flour
55g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
110g cold butter
1/2 tsp ground ginger
4 pieces of stem ginger in syrup, well drained

Method

1. First make the ice cream. Begin by making the honeycomb. Place the sugar and syrup in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the sugar melts. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the caramel is a deep gold in colour.

2. Remove from the heat and sift over the bicarbonate of soda. Stir the frothy mixture, then pour on to a greased baking sheet. Allow to cool, then break into smallish chunks.

3. Whip the cream until floppy, then beat in the condensed milk and vodka. Continue whipping until the mixture is quite stiff.

4. Fold in the pieces of honeycomb plus any crumbs, then scrape into a freezer proof bowl and freeze for about 8 hours or overnight.

5. To make the ginger shortbread stars, place the flour, sugar, cold butter, ground ginger and stem ginger in a food processor.

6. Process, using short bursts of power, until you have a smooth-ish dough. Chill for about 30 minutes.

7. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180�C/gas 4.
8. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured board and cut into small star shapes, re-rolling the dough as necessary.

9. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with extra caster sugar.

10. Bake the stars in the preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, depending on their thickness. The biscuits are ready when they are light golden brown at the edges.

11. Serve the biscuits warm from the oven with the honeycomb ice cream.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:15 pm

saucisson wrote:As I understand it, it extends the caramalisation process further and if you leave it longer than in Jen's recipe say a few hours it comes out looking like toffee.

Dave

Am I right in thinking then, that it just goes darker, and possibly less sweet? I guess the viscocity can't really change, beacause the waters got no place to go :?:
Cheers for the reply :)
Lee
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general