What to do with Rabbit

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

What to do with Rabbit

Postby DarrinG » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:17 am

Well I got a couple of presents today. A co-worker that I filled in for brought in some rabbits that he shot. I've never had it before but I am more then willing to try it out. What is the best way to prepare the rabbit to get the "best" bunny flavor. I've scoured the forum here and haven't been able to find quite what I am looking for. A lot seem to want me to mix it with other meat, but what I am looking for is the essence of rabbit.

BTW I don't care if its a sausage, burger or just a roasted rabbit recipe I just want something that works for my first try.

Thanks

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Michelle » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:57 am

Hi Darrin! I cut my rabbits up and bread and fry them as I would with chicken....its nothing fancy but they are yummy!
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:25 am

I must say it is nice to receive prospective meals as gifts. I got 2 partridges yesterday, which I pluckedand drew the guts, a brace of pheasant, a mallard drake and a pinkfoot goose. I attempted to pluck the mallard and goose but the down was so thick and was going everywhere I ended up just taking the breasts and legs.

Anyways, back to a recipe for Darrin.. this is delicious accompanied by plain boiled potatoes.

Rabbit with cider and mustard casserole

1 whole rabbit- jointed (will yeild 5 portions).

12 to 15 small shallots or pickling onions.

1/2 pint cider (dry or sweet, doesn't matter will be adding some honey).

Enough plain seasoned flour to lightly coat the rabbit (approx 1/2 cup).

2 heaped teaspoons of English Mustard (powder or wet).

I/2 flat teaspoon of salt.

Good grating of fresh black pepper to taste.

1 tablespoon of olive oil.

1 teaspoon of honey

Water

Method.

Put seasoned flour into a plastic bag and add the rabbit portions.

Seal the bag and shake so that all rabbit is lightly coated.

Remove rabbit and shake off excess flour.

Heat the olive oil in a pan and brown the rabbit.

Remove the rabbit and put into a casserole dish.

Peel the shallots or small pickling onions, but leave the root stump on,
this will help the shallots/onions to hold together during cooking.

Put the shallots/onions into the pan and fry till just starting to caramelise.

Remove the shallots/onions and add them to the casserole dish.

Add the cider to the pan and deglaze.

Add the honey and the mustard. The mustard will emulsify the liquid.

Cook mixture until amalgamated, only a few minutes, then add it to the casserole.

Add the salt and pepper, and top up with water enough to barely cover the rabbit.

Put lid on and cook in the middle of the oven on a medium/hot setting (190�C / 370�F) for approx 80 -90 minutes. Remove lid for the last 15 minutes and allow liquid to reduce.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Here's one of my favourites, I'll e-mail you a few more.

Big Guy Hasenpfeffer

2 rabbits cut into sections
� cup flour
1 Tsp. basil
1 tsp. salt
� tsp. black pepper
� cup cooking oil
1 clove garlic chopped
� cup water
2 tbs. wine vinegar
1 tbs. honey
1 tbs. parsley chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 tbs. sugar

Combine basil , salt , pepper and rub into rabbit pieces. Brown rabbit pieces in oil with garlic. In a separate pan combine water , vinegar , sugar ,and honey simmer for 3 minutes but do not boil. Pour over rabbit in skillet. Bake in 325 degree oven for 2 hr. or until tender . Stir in sour cream and bake for another 5-6 minutes , sprinkle with parsley and serve. Goes well with mashed potatoes, green beans and cold beer.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Because there is so little fat on a rabbit an old family recipe of mine always used to put some belly pork in. The actual recipe has been lost to time, I just remember the belly pork being there. These days I'd be tempted to try it with a slab of smoked bacon.

I've also seen a rich sauce made from the blood, liver kidney etc, red wine, garlic rosemary and shallots.

I remember having rabbit in cider and mustard in The Pyrenees on my honeymoon 20 years ago, but I would guess that was a Dijon Mustard.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby DarrinG » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:10 am

Hey Big Guy those recipes you sent me look great. The Nuggets McRabbit looks really good. I haven't yet decided on what.

So I keep you posted. I don't have the rabbits yet. They were still in the fur when he dropped them off and was going to clean them up and bring them back in tomorrow.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:58 am

Wild rabbits need to be gutted immediatly the guts are real strong smelling and if leaft in impart a harsh flavour to the whole animal! I clean mine as soon as I shoot them. You can soak them for a couple of days in buttermilk to reduce that taste and to tenderize them too.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby DarrinG » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:06 am

I'm not too sure if they have been gutted yet or when. When he stopped in to show me the rabbits were shot about 20 minutes before.

I'm hoping for a good turn out.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:44 am

Darrin,

I psted a Rabbit and Chorizo Recipe somewhere that is my favourite thing to do with Rabit thighs.

I'll see if i can dig it up

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:04 am

Hi DG

I get through quite a few bunny's during the year and my family rather like them as rabbit paellea. There are a number of things you can do to them but in essence saddle of rabbit cooked in a grain mustard sauce for me has got to be N01, the legs I use either in paellea or caesserole or depending on how big the bunnies are take off the loin and flash fry it in a little olive oil - that will give you a direct bunny hit.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi

I used Paul's recipe and cooked a couple of bunnies the other day, very tasty indeed. I'm now looking for some good ideas for cooking goat. I came back with a sizeable bagful from London the other day, any recipes would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Jenny Have you tried a Kleftiko?

Take the fist size chunks of Goat and put in a bakingpan (high sides 3"to4") Add some raw potatoes halved length ways. Yellow waxy ones are best.

Add salt, pepper, Bay leaves Olive oil and mix well. Pour in enough water to ggive 2cm-3cm in the base of the pan after the meat and potatoes are in it. (probably one to one and a half glasses max)

Cover tightly in foil and the place in the oven on 130Deg C for 5hrs or so. The whole lot is ready when the meat is falling off the bone and the potatoes are very soft.

This is actually a realy good thing to do when you grow your own spuds, as they are sooooo sweet when cooked straight out of the ground.

Rgds,
FB

BTW Jen, where did you get the goat from? I really like it but can never find any. My favourite is a goat Curry but I don't have a good curry recipe so if you know of one please share.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks for the Kleftiko idea, I did a lamb one last week that went down well.

I'm cooking a Caribbean goat curry at the moment which is full of scrummy things. If it turns out well I'll post the recipe.

BTW, I buy my goat in North London, in an area called Burnt Oak. It's so multi cultural there you can find just about any ingredient.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Here's a rough guide to the 'Curry Goat' I did the other night. It was seriously tasty, and if finding goat is a problem, lamb or better still, mutton would substitute well.

3lbs goat meat cut into bite sized pieces.
4-5 spring onions (scallions) chopped
2 onions chopped
3 large tomatoes chopped
1 tblsp chopped ginger
1 tblsp chopped garlic
2-3 tblsp oil
2 scotch bonnet chillies (deseed for less heat).
juice of two limes
2 tblsp fresh mint chopped
A sprig of thyme
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
2 tblsp curry powder and a tsp of allspice, or preferably grind the following:-
1 tsp allspice, half tsp nutmeg, 2-3 cloves, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp aniseed or a star anise, 2 tsp black pepper corns, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, 2 tsp coriander seeds.
To this grind add 3 tsp ground turmeric, 1 tsp ground ginger and a tsp of cayenne pepper if you want more heat.

Put the goat in large bowl and add the spring onions, half the chopped onions, the chillies, salt and pepper, 1 tblsp curry powder mix and an extra tsp of allspice. Coat the goat well with the mixture and leave to marinade in the fridge, preferably overnight.

Add the oil to a large pot over a medium heat and stir one tblsp of curry powder into the oil, cook slowly for a minute or two, keep stirring.
Stir in the remaining onions, cook until softened, add the garlic and goat, stir to seal the outside of the meat.
Add the remaining ingredients, bring up slowly to the boil, then simmer gently for two to three hours until the meat is tender. Add water when needed. Season to taste.

I served this rice and black beans

Hope you have a go and enjoy it.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks Jenny,

I have some Muntjac shoulders and neck on the bone that I think would lend itself to this type of curry so I think I'll try it.

Thanks for posting,
K
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general