Yorkshire Curd Tart

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Yorkshire Curd Tart

Postby Spuddy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:41 am

I went up to see a pal of mine in Nelson (Lancs) recently and whilst there went to Skipton which is just across the county border in North Yorkshire.
At a little bakery there we bought a "Yorkshire Curd Tart" which I thought was amazing. Even though I am NOT a lover of sweet stuff I find myself craving the things now.

I've googled it and there are quite a lot of recipes out there but they all use different ways of forming the curd, some have raisins in and some don't.

Does anyone have a GENUINE recipe for it?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:39 am

If I remember correctly Rick Stein covered Curd pudding in one of his programs, but didn't come away with the recipe and concocted his own take on it.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:13 pm

aaah yes, fondly remembered as "Turd Cart" :wink:

It is a distinctive curd, not to be confused with the lemon variety, something between cottage cheese and a cheesecake (but with solid open pie crust) if I remember well.
As a Yorkshireman by birth I had to google it myself, and came across this which I think is authentic.

http://www.dacha.freeuk.com/cook/
johnc
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks guys

I tried Rick Stein's Food Heroes version on Sunday and it turned out very well but not quite how I remember. Still a worthy tart though. The whole lot disappeared before I could say "seconds anyone?"

There's 10 different "traditional" recipes on that page that johnc posted and most of them sound like they could be the one. This could take a while. :D
Last edited by Spuddy on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:51 am

Spuddy,

It looks like you have a mystery to solve!!!

Rgds,
Watson
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby johnc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:12 pm

I'd suggest you try the "farmhouse curd" described in the section on making curd. This requires raw milk and adding buttermilk to it and will probably get you that special tangy taste and texture.
Can you still buy raw milk back there? It seems to have been banned here in Texas, I remember an organic (glass bottle, gold foil top and all) milk with a very thick cream on top when I first arrived here 10 years ago, but not any more.
johnc
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 am

No raw milk here either John it's all pasteurised.
I'll try it anyway this weekend using that method with some Channel Island Gold Top (as that at least is not homogenised so the cream layer is nicely defined) and see how it turns out.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby vinner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:18 pm

johnc

You can indeed buy raw cow's and goat's milk in Texas from certified farmers. There are 2 in Texas. There is a farm down in Needville/Beazley area that sells it. I am in NJ this week, so don't have access to my cards, but they also sell at the farmer's market in Houston on Wednesdays behind the building at 3100 Richmond at Eastside. It goes for $11 to $12 per gallon. He also sells his homemade chesses and yogurts.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby johnc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:30 am

Thanks Vinner, I'll check it out!
johnc
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:13 pm

JohnC - also check this website for more sources of raw milk in Texas (or any other state for that matter and some other countries).

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Spuddy - check this part of the site for the UK

http://www.realmilk.com/where-other.html

Don't know how far East Sussex is from West Sussex, but here's a farm that sells raw milk.

East Sussex: Plawhatch Farm, Priory Road, Sharpthorne, has raw organic milk available at their store and will deliver to the local area. They also make their own yogurt and cheese and have organic beef, lamb, eggs and chickens, as well as organic produce for sale.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby johnc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:58 pm

Thanks again BBQer, theres a wealth of information in those links, not just for milk but other farm produce as well. Probably fresher than the stuff at Whole Foods Market too, as most of their stuff comes from California and is already a week or more old...
johnc
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:48 pm

BBQer wrote:
Don't know how far East Sussex is from West Sussex, but here's a farm that sells raw milk.

Sharpthorne is ~36 miles from Spuddyville
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby somerset lad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:33 pm

According to the woman on the programe ,she just added rennet and strained off the whey and used the curds for the tart. :wink:
good growing ,good eating ,good game , good life
somerset lad
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general