Censoring?

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Censoring?

Postby BBQer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm

Who's going nuts with the moderating of messages?!

A DennyUA from Ukraine posts an introductory message saying he likes the website and "Thanks". It was crude, but English probably isn't his native language.

I post a "Hello" and welcome in Russian to try and make him feel at home here and now it's been deleted!????

What's up with that?
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 pm

No nuts going on here BBQer.
Admin and Moderators vigorously check and delete rogue user accounts (I delete around four or five EVERY day).
DennyUA's email domain was identified as one commonly used by spammers.
The introductory message also was similar to those commonly used by spammers to avoid detection and deletion before beginning their campaign.
Most of the time this activity goes un-noticed by most members and is picked up by moderators (who delete the posts) and report them to admin (who then delete and ban the user).
The only difference this time as far as I am aware is that the message was around long enough for someone (yourself) to respond to it.
Clearly there's nothing wrong with your response but obviously if the spammer's message is removed then your reply has no relevance and is also removed. This is no reflection on you but is a natural consequence of the spammer removal.

I hope that helps

Spuddy
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby BBQer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:52 pm

My apologies then. Thank you for the clarification. Understand completely the deleting of my message as irrelevant, if original is deleted.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:05 am

Hi BBQer, as Spuddy said we delete 4, 5 or more spammers a day and they are almost always in Cookery in General, for some bizarre reason. I deleted a thread offering penile enlargement herbal treatments just an hour or so ago :roll: .

Generally new people post in beginners or chatter or ask a tentative question in the forum that is relevant to their query. Any post in Cookery in General that just says "hi you have a great forum" without mentioning meat, sausages or anything connected with the forum is treated with suspiscion and I was in fact keeping an eye on it when Spuddy recognised the email domain as being dodgy. I did wonder what your reply was when I read it :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:52 am

BBQer wrote:My apologies then. Thank you for the clarification. Understand completely the deleting of my message as irrelevant, if original is deleted.

No apologies necessary. I completely understand how it must have seemed very odd from your perspective.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:04 am

I deleted it, so what???

I generally save and repost the message in the moderators area along with IP number, so that all relevant info is removed by admin, but this time didn't have time.. maybe should have left it for another mod/admin.

Do you not realise that these spammers enlist in this kind of forum, not only to post spam directly but also to attempt to acquire email addresses for more spam..

BBQer, I was asked to moderate this site.. if you feel you can do a better job then you can take my place, I'm not particularly bothered.. just contact Spuddy and he will take care of it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:42 am

Hey paul,

Bad day?

I have the site up pretty much all day at work, (yes... very busy ;) ) and noticed how quickly you guys take these messages down. I think it's fair to say that everyone agrees on what a good job is done in moderating/running this site, and I don't think anyone criticised your actions.

Keep up the good work, we are all benefiting from all of your generosity in spending time to help run the site.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:10 am

Agree that the mods here are doing an excellent job. Hardly see any spam actually.
Just look at the knives forum and you'll see that without mods there's more spam that real postings, in fact 90% of the posting there now are spam. :shock:
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:00 pm

Paul, excuse me for misunderstanding. Again I apologize for my error.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:18 pm

BBQer

GOD (spuddy) has taken your side on this so I have resigned as a moderator. Apparently you are allowed to gob off but I am not allowed to.

As far as I am concerned you can chat in as many different languages to as many different spammers as you wish..
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:18 pm

I'm sorry it went that way Paul. I didn't mean to cause a big problem.

I should have used those emoticons to show that I was just trying to "rib" folks about it a bit. Didn't mean to sound harsh, but in re-reading my post I can see that it did sound unnecessarily critical. My mistake. Sorry.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:45 am

Paul Kribs wrote:BBQer

GOD (spuddy) has taken your side on this so I have resigned as a moderator. Apparently you are allowed to gob off but I am not allowed to.

As far as I am concerned you can chat in as many different languages to as many different spammers as you wish..

Paul that is a real shame. I'm sorry to hear that. Your actions were entirely fair in this instance, & this is a sad outcome.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general