Lemon Turkey

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Lemon Turkey

Postby saucisson » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:27 pm

I thought this one up for Easter:

A small frozen turkey (8lb)
2 litres water
2 litres R Whites lemonade or similar clear lemonade
120g salt
1 chicken OXO cube.
I salted lemon

Dissolve the salt and OXO into the water and lemonade and marinate the frozen turkey and salted lemon in the liquid for 18 hours in a roasting bag, placed in a cardboard box for support and to ensure the bird is submerged. The turkey should be well thawed but still cold. Drain well and place the salted lemon in the cavity. seal up the bag with plenty of air space and place in an open earthenware casserole and roast slowly at 150 deg C for 21/2 to 3 hours. Allow to rest in the bag for 30 minutes before openiing the bag and removing the bird.

Serve with roast potatoes, steamed purple sprouting broccoli, carrots and sweetcorn and lashings of gravy made from stock from the giblets and lemony juices released into the roasting bag :)

Yum, Yum
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby JimH » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm going to try that with a chicken. I can't get a salted lemon locally, can you tell me how it's made?
JimH
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Fill a jar with lemons, chuck in several handfuls of salt top up with water (you can chuck in some pickling spices if you have some) and leave several weeks. When I wanted to make some there were so many conflicting recipes out there I despaired and just made a stong brine and dropped the lemons in. I had a bag of lemons that I forgot about at Christmas which had started to shrink and harden, so I used them, they have rehydrated very nicely in the brine and are very lemony.

Give me a shout if you want more info and I'll try and come up with a sensible recipe.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby JimH » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Sounds good, did you cut slits in the rind?
JimH
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:19 pm

JimH, I cut my Meyer lemons into quarters, salt into a MAson jar then lemons, then salt, layering. Will keep for 2 years. I use only the rind, mostly in Morrocan recipes.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 pm

JimH, no I didn't, mostly because they were rock hard when I put them in. If using fresh, then Vinners suggestion sounds good.
Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby JimH » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Interesting, does the salt disolve to the point where it creates a brine? Can it be left out on the counter or does it have to protected from sunlight, stored in a cool dark place?
JimH
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:02 pm

I keep mine on the counter top, as they look neat.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby JimH » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks guys, I'll put that extra ball jar to use.
JimH
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Here's a recipe for preserved lemons from Clifford Wright that seems like what you're talking about
http://www.cliffordawright.com/recipes/ ... emons.html
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Return to Cookery in general