Help - Pork pie molds

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Help - Pork pie molds

Postby DeeKman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi,

I have tried making pork pies useing jam jars as the mold, but i had difficulty in getting the pastery off the jar, after it had set. I have now bought 2 Lakland pie molds, the ones with the faulse bottoms.

I set to this morning, ground the meat, made the pastry, seasoned the mince whilst the pastery was resting, all going well. now to line the pie molds, it took 45 mins to line the 2, (the temper was starting to go, but no I managed, in the end) :x

Can anyone help, how do you line the molds easily? Or does it take 20 odd min for each tin?

DeeK
DeeKman
Registered Member

Postby muntjac » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Deek

did you mould the pastry whilst it was still warm? if not this may be why it took so long. you did not state the size of the mould. I have used 6 & 8 inch cake tins in the past with no trouble.
also warm the mould first
Happy pie making

Muntjac :)
muntjac
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:28 am

You could refine the jam jar method by first covering the jar in a single layer of cling film. Place and shape the pastry, remove the jar and then the cling film. Should make an easier job.

I use the 4 inch pie moulds with the false bottoms but do find getting an even thickness of pastry difficult. I now form the pastry (The one I use is quite soft so will not stand up on its own) over a wooden dolly then insert into the mould prior to filling. Fiddly but good results. The problem was making the doly to the right diameter so that the pastry was the right thickness but still slid into the mould.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Lakeland tins

Postby wallie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:06 pm

I have had no problem using jars, this is my method:
1. Grease the jar
2. Dust thckly with flour and put in fridg
3. Roll the dough into a thick circle
4. Mould over the jar.
5. Put back in fridg for a half hour then ease the jar out.

Also using the lakeland tins get a jar about 1inch less in diameter than the tins, roll the warm dough into a thick circle drop over the bottom of the jar.
Put the jar into the tin, then lift the jar out.
Now mould the pastry so it comes to the top of the tin.
My explanation might not be very good but you will soon get the hang of it.
I bought these Lakeland tins a year ago, but I still prefer to use the top method.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general