Rabbit Kidney

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Rabbit Kidney

Postby georgebaker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi
boasting really but bought a tray of rabbit kidneys last week in spain

Fried then red wine sauce

Why don't we get them in the UK? And for that matter why don't we get venision kidneys?

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:19 pm

When I buy prepared rabbits they normally come with kidneys and livers. I need to find a new supply though as last time I was at the Farm shop where I get them they were �2.95 each.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby georgebaker » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:56 am

Hi
I was asked a fiver for the last one I wanted so 2.95 is good
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Missing Link » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:53 am

It's a shame you guys don't live nearer to me, I 'control' a regular number most weeks on local farms and you would be most welcome to have some.
Missing Link
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:12 pm

I pay about �2.50. They are cut into pieces which isn't so good, I prefer to have them whole to joint myself. My dad has to pay �10.00 in London, mind you they are whoppers, tame obviously.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi
I had a 1/4, deep fried last week head and all 6 euro in spain. Was not sure what to do with the head, tried the tonge but not the rest.

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Do the game dealers keep the offal for themselves or their favourite customers? :lol:

I must admit our game dealer "threw in" a liver, a few kidneys and a few hearts with the last carcass I bought off him.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 pm

I used the Rabit livers out of a couple of dozen rabbits I shot last week to make a traditional greek stuffing.

Basically fry some finely diced onions then add the livers diced into .5cm-1cm cubes. Add sultanas, pine nuts 1/2tsp cinnamon stock cube and a couple of cups of rice, Salt and pepper.

Usually we stuff a suckling pig withthe par cooked mixture and put it in the clay oven but this time I just put the mix in a covered casserole and put it into the oven adding water as required.

It's very different and can also be made with bulgar wheat. thinking about it, I would think it would make a good stuffing for a goose that was getting slow roasted.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Re Bambies kidneys and liver, it has long been a perk of the hunter to take these for themselfs for their early morning breakfast. I must admit I am VERY partial to a bit of liver when I can get hold of it to make Bambi pate.

In fact I have purchased venison in the past that has been missing the fillet from the underside of the chest cavity before now - but only once :wink:

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 am

Wiz,

Yes I have also hard of stalkers removing those couple of bits before putting the deer into the dealer. It is the one peice I have not seen for sale at any of the fairs, I rekon if the stalker doesn't get them the butcher will squirrel them away!!

They make a great stroganoff.

As for the livers in Deer, up in Scotland they go with the carcass for vetinary inspection along with the rest of the red pluck. down here some dealers request them and some don't.

It's great stewed with onion, and red wine.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 am

Lucky Scottish vets is all I can say!

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general