Lamb Neck fillets

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Lamb Neck fillets

Postby wallie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:51 am

I have seen quite a few recipes lately using Lamb Neck Fillets.
I am trying to get some clarification on this cut.
I was a cook at sea for quite a number of years and had to do my own butchery on whole carcasses of beef, lamb and pork and the only cut I know in this respect was lamb neck end either as a whole piece or cut into neckend chops.
This was a cut full of flavour but had to have long slow cooking or it was tough.
Yet I was watching a program on ITV yesterday "Britains best dish" and this recipe used neck end fillet and it was only cooked in the oven for 8minutes each side.
In another recipe I seen it was barbequed.
Surely anything of the neckend would be tough after only 16minutes cooking!
Unless I am out of touch with modern cuts of meat and there is some magic part of the neck that gives a tender fillet.
I would appreciate if anyone knows the butchering skills would let me know where this cut comes from.

Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby ifpo238 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:41 pm

if they cooked it such a short time, my guess would be that it's part of the loin or tenderloin from the neck end.

-j
ifpo238
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:11 pm

I think you are correct, having cooked scrag end of neck before I was surprised when I came across a piece of "neck" in a supermarket clear out section that looked just like tenderloin from a pig (only it was lamb, obviously). The most succulent lamb I have ever tasted.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:13 am

This is what deliaonline had to say. Although did find another site that stated that neck fillets were from the scrag, and were ideal for slow cooking.

Middle neck or scrag end of neck of lamb
For stewing, middle neck or scrag end of neck are generally used because the bones impart delicious juices to the liquid. Best end neck chops are ideal for braised dishes like Lancashire hotpot (in Scotland these are called single loin chops and in the Midland simply cutlets). Fillets from the neck were not a traditional British butcher�s cut but recently some supermarkets and enterprising independents have started to prepare de-boned versions of this delicious meat.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi,

If you get a whole lambs neck, you will find that there are lengths of muscle which can be boned out from it. Difficult to describe exactly where they run, but you can get little strips of meat about 1.5 cms diameter, the length of the neck.

As to how tender they are... I don't think they are _anything_ like as tender as the tenderloin (or undercut) from the loin. However, with marinating they can be used pretty well for kebabs. Very flavourful.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Marinaded in some olive oil and some north african style spices the neck fillets can then be cooked on a very hot griddle until crispy outside.

Sliced and put into a tortillie with some salsa and houmous they are fabulous.

I'm picing up my 2 lambs tonight from the butcher so I think I may have that for dinner tonight!!

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:20 pm

I feel like Pavlov's dog when I read your posts FB :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby georgebaker » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi
is this the cut I sometimes see described as "Backstrap"?

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:53 am

George,

Backstrap is actuallyt the boned out eye of meat that runs along the saddle. It is the same cut as Sirloin. The front end of the loin, (backstrap) narrows right down and then joins onto the series of neck muscles. The neck fillet is the top most of these cuts and ataches to the atlas joint at the back of the head. There are some other cuts below but they are usually just trimmed & used for mince or ausage if I am not mistaken.

I made the neck fillets up ffor dinner on Friday night. I didn't have the Fajhitas so I made a bbulgar wheat cous cous with raisin sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts. Then I marinaded the lamb dry with corriander, sweet paprika, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. ( A bit of cayenne may have been a good idea with hindsight). Griddled in the pan on a high heat the outside went very crispy but the inside was incredibly succulent.

The lamb itself had been hung for 10 days so the meat was as tender as you could ever want it to be.

My Mutton Ewe is hanging still for a few more days. to make the best part of 2 and a half weeks. then I'll get onto the Merguez with all the trimming and one of the shoulders. I might bulk it out with a bit of venison too if the lamb looks a bit too fatty.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general