Aquiring pigs blood in Canada?

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Rivermute » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:42 am

Here is the reply I got from malabar spice regarding blood in Canada.
-------------------------------------------------
Hello Dan;

Your frustration is very common, as new government regulations are not allowing slaughter houses to sell blood (you can try some of your local abattoirs directly). We do not carry dried blood, and unfortunately, many of our blood sausage and blood pudding processors are not longer making the product.

Sorry we cannot help you!

Regards,

Doris
--------------------------------------------------

I had several other similar replies from other major suppliers. The small abattoirs near my place will no longer give you the blood back from your own pigs. Also looks like even the commercially available stuff (absolute junk but better then nothing) is soon to be a thing of the past.

I realize that blood can be potentially dangerous stuff to handle but come on!! Just another example of idiot proofing the world in order to avoid litigation. The problem is that idiots tend to breed unless they fall prey to their own nature.
Rivermute
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Just to drag up an old thread, I was watching a program on Philippino cooking and saw frozen pigs blood for sale in an Asian Supermarket. Following it up I came across this:

http://www.filipino-food-lovers.com/?p=66

"For my kababayan* who just recently moved here to the U.S., especially if you don�t live in the major cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York City, you can still find edible pork blood at just about any International grocery store in the frozen section. One of the most popular brands here is Orientex. They have beef blood also"

It might be worth a search in Canada for this product

Dave

PS * kababayan :

root word " bayan" meaning town/municipality

being kababayan in the Philippine context means belong to the same bayan, province, hence the english translation is townmate

when we go overseas however, it is used in a larger scale, instead of town, it now refers to the country. so when you say "mga kababayan" it means "fellow countrymen"
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cookery in general