Best beef cut for hamburger

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Best beef cut for hamburger

Postby grannyk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Now that I have a meat grinder, I want to make my own ground beef for hamburgers. What cut of beef would be the most flavorful (without being TOO high in fat). When I buy ground beef, I usually buy the 7% fat - but it seems to lack in flavor.
grannyk
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 am

It depends on what 'too fatty' is to you. I grab some reasonable-looking chuck (about 18 - 20% fat) when I grind my own hamburger.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:09 am

I could write all day about ground beef, if you want lean go for eye of the round, best flavour is in the sirloin, (tip is more cost effective). a hard worked muscle is tough but more flavourful
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby grannyk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Thanks for the tips. I asked the butcher yesterday what he recommends and he said he likes the chuck. So I bought some and will try it tonight. It does have a higher fat content that but I supposed I can trim some away. It will interesting. Nothing like a good hamburger!

I'm also going to make up my first batch of breakfast sausage today. I hope it turns out OK.
grannyk
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:36 am

Personally I think the best flavoured beef comes from the shin. When you're mincing it, the fact that it's a bit tough doesn't matter neither does the proportion of connective tissue. What's more, shin is one of the leanest cuts too.

All these prime cuts!!! What a waste. I use those for grilling or roasting.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby grannyk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:54 am

Well, I ground up the chuck today and made hamburgers tonight. I have to say the texture was wonderful and the flavor was ok. Next time, I am going to try Alton Brown's recipe and mix sirloin and chuck together. Plus, I may not have added enough salt.

I also made up my first batch of breakfast sausage today. Overall, I think the grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid works well. When I first starting grinding the beef, I didn't have the grinder tightened and it started spinning around. I had a bit of a mess to clean up by the time I could get the mixer turned off. I hopefully won't make that mistake again.

Thanks again for your tips.
grannyk
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:28 am

If you want to up the flavor some, increase the fat content. Chuck, as it is sold today, probably runs 20-21% fat. If you will add fat to get to 25% or just a little over, it will help.

Most hamburger in the U.S. sold these days is far too lean for a good, juicy burger.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby akesingland » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi All

In Hestons perfection http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 7366.shtml he uses chuck, brisket, and short rib meat (1:1:2). I did make just the burgers but replaced the short rib with rump (I just could not source it). Two people said it was the best burger they had ever tasted.

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general